Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oregon Fishing Update
Fisheries Update<br><br><br>August 9th - August 15th, 2002 <br><br>The Buoy 10 opener was less than impressive! Even we didn't think it would be that poor. The good news is that it can't get any worse- oh yeah it can, the gillnets are fishing! The last night they will be in is the evening of the 8th until the morning of the 9th. Then, it's all ours! I don't anticipate the first big push of chinooks until after the weekend so you may not want to let that lawn go another weekend without mowing. <br><br>BUT, I almost would rather predict the weather over fishing and it could get real good before the 12th or 14th as I predict in the long version of this newsletter. With the exceptionally large run of chinook predicted, I give it a 50/50 chance of this fishery to explode before the 12th. Fresh and frozen herring are working but bigger baits are better and you likely won't find very large fresh herring. Keep a couple of packs of blue or purples handy if you can't seem to get bit on the fresh stuff. <br><br>The ocean fishery is much better than the river right now but even that is a bit of a struggle to attain a boat limit. The fish do seem to be running to the large size however. Steelhead fishing on the upper mainstem near Bonneville is still slow likely due to warmer water temperatures. The oversize show is still ongoing but not much effort for these fish as most anglers are doing their chores before the hot Buoy 10 fishery takes off! <br><br>Crabbing in the Columbia River Estuary remains unusually slow. The Necanicum is fairly good but won't take much pressure. Action for chinook in Nehalem Bay has yet to take off. Chinook have been seen entering Tillamook Bay. A few steelhead are being taken on the and Siletz Rivers. The Rogue is producing large chinook in the bay and steelhead upstream. <br><br>Clackamas and Sandy River fishing is slow. The best bet for a bright steelhead is the North Santiam. Kokanee fishing at Green Peter is good; Odell is slow. Breitenbush River, the North Fork Santiam above Detroit and Clear Lake will be stocked this week with catchable trout. <br><br>Have this report e-mailed to you weekly or sign up for our full version with tips, forecasts, and professional guide's advice!<br>http://www.TheGuidesForecast.com/<br><br>Get more Oregon fishing information at<br>http://www.theguidesforecast.com