Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pacific Bonito Recipes
Here is a thread just for Pacific Bonito Recipes. Please feel free to add any that you may have.[cool]
[signature]
submitted by JapanRon [size 1]I've come across a couple of bonito recipes that Californians have suggested for our pacific species. [font "Arial"]by Kelly W[/font] [font "Arial"][/font] [font "Arial"]Ingredients-[/font] [font "Arial"]1 lb bonito filets ( fresh )[/font] [font "Arial"]1 onion[/font] [font "Arial"]1 red bell pepper [/font] [font "Arial"]1 garlic clove - minced[/font] [font "Arial"]1 pkg taco seasoning ( Lawrey's or Schilling )[/font] [font "Arial"]1/4 cup olive oil[/font] [font "Arial"]1/2 cup water[/font] [font "Arial"]1 pkg corn tortilla's ( or flour )[/font] [font "Arial"]6 Coronas ( optional )[/font] [font "Arial"][/font] [font "Arial"]Cut fresh bonito filets in 1" chunks and set aside ( don't forget to remove the dark meat strip ) In a skillet or wok using olive oil saute onion, bell peppers,and garlic for about 10 minutes over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add water, taco seasoning and fish. Cover and simmer for another 8-10 minutes until fish is cooked. Drain excessive liquid and scoop into pre-warmed tortillas for the best fish tacos you ever had! Easy!!![/font] [font "Arial"][/font] [font "Arial"]Your buddy,[/font] [font "Arial"][/font] [font "Arial"]JapanRon[/font] [/size] [signature]
[size 1]submitted by JapanRon[/size]

[size 1]

by WSK

My way of preparing Bonita was to use a Pyrex casserole dish with 3 or 4-inch sides. Lay down 1/4 inch of brown sugar, then lay the skinned fillet down on top and cover with more brown sugar. Keep layering until you are out of fish, or you have come to just under the top of the bowl. Cover it and place it in the refrigerator for 24 hours. The sugar turns into liquid as it pulls out the strong essences from the fish. This way you leave the red meat on the fish and do not loose any meat.

When you get ready to grill you rinse the fillets and season to taste, then place them on the grill. OR...if you want some smoked fish...rinse and baste liquid smoke on the fish then place the fish in the oven until it is cooked. It tastes just like smoked Tuna but it is not really cured so do not leave it out for hours.

My mouth is watering as I type.

Pretty cool,

JapanRon [/size]
[size 1]subnmitted by JapanRon

by Oldtimer

Here's his favorite recipe:

Fillet the bonito. Remove the skin. Cut each fillet into two pieces by removing the red meat strip down the lateral line. Cut each fillet crossways into 2 equal sized pieces (now you have 8 hunks of bonito per fish; 4 pieces from each side cut in half).

Take an onion and skin and quarter it. Put it in a blender with a 1/3 cup of water. Puree it. Pour it into a zip lock bag. The onion removes ALL (truly, every bit) of any strong taste the bonito might have. BUT it does not leave an onion taste. Truly....try it.

To the bag add 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon mustard, and 1 finely chopped garlic clove (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder).

Put pieces of fish in (the above recipe will take fillets from 2 small boneheads, or 1 large--6lb-- one). Mix stuff around so fish pieces are covered. Remove air (by dunking bag in water) and then zipping it.Let it sit in fridge for 1-2 hours.

Start your charcoal. I use a Weber type with a round top, and find you don't need a whole lot of coals. The top keeps in the heat.

When the coals are completely grey, remove the fish from the bag. Lightly rub the fillets with olive oil, and place on grill. For average size pieces, you cook about 2-2.5 minutes per side. (Hint: I now use one of those baskets with a handle that have a small grid so that the pieces of fish don't fall down in the coals, AND you don't have to touch the fish to turn it. You can get them at cooking stores.) Remove immediately from heat. Picture of basket:

Yummmmm,

JapanRon [/size]