Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cocoa Beach Report
9/1/2002 Flats fishing report for the Banana Rivers. By Capt Doug Blanton
Fishing still continues to be on and off but now we have a few more on days then off. This past week we have caught reds up to 40 inches and trout up to 25 inches all on top water. You may think I sound like a broken record talking about the 3 1/4 inch Florida Special Rip Roller but this lure has produced every day for us this past week.
The reds have started feeding in a little shallower water this past week and have been only feeding in the first hour after sunrise. Most of the fish have been very spooky and would only hit topwater if the lure ways worked very slowly just a few feet away from where they were tailing.
This next week should prove to be a week for making memories due to the low pressure system just off shore and the passing full moon. Keep in mind that these fish are going to have had a lot of pressure on them this weekend so try to move in on any area you may think holds fish as quietly as possible.
Trout fishing has been much better this past week. Every day we found a few fish up to 25 inches just waiting for a top water plug to come there way. Most of the trout made a lot of short strikes prior to grabbing our lures. The better fish we found in 1 to 2 feet of water just outside of the schools of bait.
Once again the time of year when you dust off your ultra light tackle rods and look for the birds. Big schools of ladyfish and jacks are moving all over the Cocoa Beach area this past week. This is one of my favorite times of the year for line scramming action and one of the best times to help that friend or loved one brush up there skills. Most of these fish have been just out side the flats in 3 to 8 feet of water. Just look for the birds and large schools of bait.
Upcoming trips.
Snook season opened today. The fall mullet run will be starting the month. This is going to make it hard to decide what to fish for. Big tarpon off the beach, snook in the inlets, Spanish at the mouth of the port, schools of bull reds on the flats or gator trout on the drop-offs. I love this time of year! Till next time, Capt. Doug
[signature]