Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout fishing?????
OK guys, check it out. I do alot of offshore fishing, and some inshore. One of the fish i'm not too familiar with are the Trout. I'm about to head to the inlet and have a go at them, I hear they're on the bite right now, and man they are tastey. Anyone have any tips? What's the best area? I know mullet work good, and I hear alot of people using small pinfish. Stratagies???? Help me out guys. Here's a run down of the area. It's a small inlet, quite shallow. Anywhere from 3 or 4 feet to about a max of 12 to 15. Mostly a narrow channel with a big, wide open area around a sharp curve. Plentiful with mullet and menhaden. Would menhaden work???? Would it be a good idea to float a live mullet just off the bottom, that way that will increase my chances incase a drum goes by or a hungry flounder see's it as it floats by???? Stratgies??? Thoughts????
[signature]
When i used to live in florida i would catch my gator trout with spoons.Usually a chrome krocodile spoon would do the trick.I would jerk it fast and let it drop a second or two.A reaction bite would occur.Hope this helps.I would try diferent colors also.
[signature]
I've done quite a bit of trout fishing on the Gulf coast Of Texas and there we use live Shrimp sometimes under a popping cork I prefer just a basic set up useing a small black barrel swivel attached to 12# test main line and on the other end I tie on a 30 inch 20# test Flourocarbon leader oh I forgot a 1/16 or 1/8 egg sinker on the main line above the swivel and a 1/0 VMC flounder hook hook the shrimp right behind the horn making sure you don't puncture the brain if live shrimp aren't available use a DOA shrimp cast out and retrieve slowly twitching the rod then reel the slack twitch and reel I have caught a load of speckled trout this way if you prefere and the conditions are good for a topwater bite try a top dog or a she dog bone in daylight and darker colors for darker conditions
Good Luck
[signature]
I'm ready to start angling for those spotted beauties real soon! My favorite bait is a shallow minnow, read and white, about 3-1/2" to 4", with a slow retrieve (enough to disturb the surface of the water a little) and an occasional jerk action. The slow retrieve seems to help me avoid the ladyfish and crevalle jacks. Oh boy - my mouth is watering already!
[signature]
How's your luck with trout, Tarpon4me?

I went Sunday morning with a Doc's Goofy Jig (yellow and white or lime green and white) tipped with a piece of shrimp - I was actually fishing for pompano and permit - caught 6 trout, 5 of them were over 20" (allowed one per day over 20") so I left with two (and limited out on the pompano and permit).
I've also caught trout free-lining a live shrimp (just a hook on a florocarbon leader) - which also works for an occasional spanish makeral - and with a white bucktail jig.
Sometimes they actually get to be a nuisance - especially next month when they're out of season!
[signature]
[Smile] I use a gold willow leaf spinner and a big fat nightcrawler OR I use corn niblets
[signature]
Nightcrawlers in the big salty, what a novel concept.[pirate]

I think they are referring to the Speckled Sea Trout. Krocs are good as well as gold colored Kast Masters.

Go get em![cool]
[signature]
[blush] Sorry I thought they were in Freshwater...and I didn't realize I was in Saltwater forum[blush]
[signature]
[pirate] The trout beat this time around. I think next season i'm going to try a little more with the lures. It's bloody hard to get live bait during the colder months anyways. I'm thinking about stocking up on some of those new Rapala X suspending lures. Those guys look nasty. Lately, i've just been planning ahead for this comming season. I'm itching for that sprout of warm weather to come back and the water heat up. I'm debating on fishing lines to spool up my reels with, I think i've come to the conclusion that the Calcutta brand is the way to go. Now, i'm trying to decide on a decent priced down rigger and a good GPS. I want a color GPS, that I can hand input waypoints into, compact, and computer linkable. What's your take on that? Something not so pricey, but that will do the job.
[signature]
I fish from the shore mostly, and don't have any experience with GPS, so I can't help you there... but for line, I've had about 3 years of real good luck with 30# PowerPro - it's strong and sensitive, although it cuts somewhat easily on rocks and shells.
[signature]
I've actually been doing some research on the line. I've used Berkly Big Game and Ande fishing lines for years, and it's some tough stuff. After reading a few things this evening, I may even try that Yo Zuri Hybrid fishing line. It looks like pretty good stuff and for a reasonable price. I think i'm going to go with that instead of the Calcutta. It has a smaller diameter than regular mono, which I want. It's suppose to be pretty tough as well. Ever used that Yo Zuri line before?
[signature]
Hey Bro. I have sampled lots of the Yozuri lines. It is pretty decent for the price but I discovered that I didn't need my GPS while using it. It has enough memory that I can't forget my spots.

It is actually a good line to use as a spool up per trip of fishing. It sounds like a hassle but I ended up going through a 1lb spool in about 2 weeks time while fishing every day with the stuff.

The Yozuri does have good break resistance and holds up well to structure fishing, like kelp beds and pebbly beaches.[cool]
[signature]
No problem bro. I love the freshwater trout too. Nightcrawlers have always worked best for me.[Smile]
[signature]
Hey snags alot. I've used night crawlers for winter flounder for years and did very well with them.Their cheaper than sand worms. [Wink]
[signature]
Up Here, Clams really work for Flounder
[signature]
Well, I don't want a roll of line that's going to be stretched out after a couple big fish jump on it. Ever used that Calcutta brand line before?
[signature]
Calcutta makes a very good braided line. As long as you match it with the right guides on your pole you won't get that "Super Line Channel Cut" in your guides.

I had the chance at testing various # tests of that stuff. I found out that out of most of the braided lines, Calcutta would actually break at only 2%below its rating.

A few other brands out there, would actually break at 10 to 40% below their rating.

You could use any leader of your choice, like Yozuri, Maxima Ultra Green, etc.........
[signature]
Actually, it's not the braid i'm going to use, it's the Mono. I've got an Abu Garcia 6500 spooled up with it now, and believe it or not, I wasn't impressed at all. But, the mono seems pretty stought. My father in law has 40lb Cal. Mono on his reel, and it seems pretty tough.
[signature]
I like the mono. Surprising enough, the Cal. Mono is actually manufactured by Stren. Go Figure.

Penn mono is so so. They struck a deal with Berkley to get their label on it. It is the equivelant in strenght to the Big Game Lime Green.[crazy]
[signature]
So, based on your experiance with the Calcutta mono, is it worth the 26.00 bucks for the 1lb spool of #25 in the dark green?
[signature]