Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old lures
I am always scavenging the shore while out fishing and have come across many destroyed lures. I have been picking them up for years and just tossed them in the trash untill now!!

I thought that it would be cool to rebuild them with new split rings and hooks. I would also need to clean them up and repaint them.

Anyone else do this?
[signature]
I have done that with a few lures and have had good luck with it,
jed
[signature]
Just a thought.. Theres quite a market on Ebay for old lures that still have their original paint (not repainted), clipped up or otherwise. You might want to check in to that if you prowl the shores for old treasures.
[signature]
Split rings and hooks are almost always a must on old lures. I enjoy taking old spoons, removing the paint and experimenting with different patterns of lure tape.

There are so many different colors to play with and it helps bring out the tinkerer in all of us.
[signature]
I used to have a neighbor who did a lot of scuba diving in local lakes. He literally would bring home dozens of old lures that were found hung up on the bottom in some shape or another.

He didn't fish so I ended up with the bounty. A number of differnet type lures. A "Jakes" lure is very popular in the area I live in. A number of these refurbished "Jakes" were used on area streams to catch rainbows on a regular basis.

But, alas, the neighbor moved out of town and I have to buy my tackle now!
[signature]
Found a old one with the hooks gone and I just tied it to my bedroom ceiling fan's pull switch. I look at it every day!
[signature]
i am always looking around for lost tackle,today i found 3 fluke rigs,4 3 oz,bank sinkers,the best payday for me finding lures and other tackle is first ice,walk out on ponds with low branches is like a kid in a candy store,most of the stuff dose not need to much attention,but what dose goes in a box for rainy, crappy days
[signature]
I was canoeing on on pond a month ago and found two frog poppers. One is a Hula Popper and the other is a soft plastic (unknown name). The pond's shoreline was choked of tall grass and the lake was pretty much choked with weeds. I only caught one bass on a topwater popping plug. My son and my buddy just snag on the weeds all day! It was kinda windy and was hard to control the canoe with the winds. I was the only one who knows how to control the canoe and fish with the winds but those two didn't get the idea yet, I had to back paddle to get their lure lose. On every fishing trip I keep an eye on the shoreline for anything like lures. I do pick up bobbers too and kinda fun to see how those other fishermen fish with it.
[signature]
[shocked] I was fishing with my buddy and caught a yellow perch with a spinner still attached to it's mouth.
[signature]