Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cocoa Beach, No motor zone, and Sebastian Reports
[left][#312c98][size 5]Flats Report[/url] for the Banana River[/size][/#312c98][/left]

[#312c98]9/10/2002 Flats fishing report for the Cocoa Beach area. By Capt Doug Blanton[/#312c98]

[#312c98]Fall is almost upon us and the fish seem to be letting out a sigh of relief. They know that cooler water is on the way because the fall bait run is beginning to start. From now till the end of the month we will be able to catch the largest verities of fish this area has to offer. The trout fishing really begins to pick up, Reds begin feed in shallower water trying to put on a few pound before winter, Snook start feeding around the mangroves and LARGE TARPON, schools of jacks, blues, and sharks work the schools of bait on the beaches. The best part of this time of the year is trying to do it all before the bait moves on. [/#312c98]

[#312c98]Now the good news. For this point on flats fishing just gets better. As the water cools down into the low 80's and 70's the flats will come alive. For all you that love to dream of sight fishing reds like you see on TV, you need to get out your calendar and set up a trip to the flats. [/#312c98]

[#312c98]Redfish. Redfishing continues to improve in Cocoa Beach. Most of the schools of larger reds I had been fishing in 4 to 5 feet have moved up on the flats in the early morning hours. This can be a mixed blessing. When these fish move in less than a foot they are much easer to find, BUT, they become much more skittish. These fish didn't get this old by chance. This is one of those times that casting accurately is everything. If you are working top water, try casting 2 to 3 feet past and off to the side of these fish as lightly as possible. In other words don't drop a bomb from 50 feet up on them. Most of the fish I have caught over the past month will spook of from a lure worked to fast, so slow your lure down to a tap every 2 to 3 seconds. If you are "walking the dog" walk it firmly but slowly. Most of the reds we have had strike haven't even broken water when they took our lures. All of the reds we have caught this past week have been on my favorite top water plug the [/#312c98][url "http://www.donraystudio.com/fishinglures.htm"][#0000ff]3 1/4 inch Florida Special Rip Roller[/#0000ff][/url][#312c98] . Just so you know, I am not paid to tell you what lures I catch fish on. I only put them up as a hipper link so that you can find where I like to buy them, and what color has worked for me. [/#312c98]

[#312c98]Trout [/#312c98][#312c98] Trout fishing has been great and should continue to get better every day. This is turning out to be one of the best late summers I have had for big trout. I usually only fish the larger trout in the spring but once again our net ban is paying off. Most of the trout we have caught this past week have been on the same lure I have been useing for the reds, the [url "http://www.donraystudio.com/fishinglures.htm"][#0000ff]3 1/4 inch Florida Special Rip Roller[/#0000ff][/url]. Most of these fish have been under 20 inches, but we have found a few larger trout holding in less than 2 feet in the early morning and late afternoon. All of our fish have been just to the inside of the schools of bait. [/#312c98]

[#312c98]From now until September 28, 2002 I am offering a $50 discount on all full day trips booked and taken before September 28th 2002. In order to get this discount you must tell me where you found my report and mention this discount at the time you book your trip. I am running a few new adds and want to see what is woking.[/#312c98]

[#312c98] Till next time, Capt. Doug[/#312c98]

[#312c98]For more information on Flats fishing with Capt. Doug [url "http://www.indianriver.cc/fishing_trips.htm"][#800080]click here[/#800080][/url][/#312c98]

[#000080][size 5]No-motor Zone[/size][/#000080]

[#000080]9/9/2002 report by Craig Redwine[/#000080]

[#312c98]Receive 1/2 off any no-motor zone "canoe" trip in response to this report. As long as the East winds don't get to strong were able find plenty of Black drum tailing between 25 & 35lbs. and we have been able to get hook ups on live shrimp & cut crab and occasionally a D.O.A. Large Redfish have been schooled up and roaming the shoals one day they will be there the next day their gone. At first light they have been hitting topwater and moving to gold spoons later through the day. Snook season is here and we have been catching mostly under size fish but this past weekend we got hit buy some nice fish 30 inches plus but were unable to land any. Slot size Redfish have been consistent throughout the day. Along with Large Trout and The occasional Tarpon avg. 20Lbs. there has been plenty of action on the water.

For more information on Flats fishing with Craig [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/no_motor/index.html"][#0000ff]click here[/#0000ff][/url] [/#312c98]

[#000080][size 5]Flats Report for Sebastian Inlet [/size][/#000080]

[#000080]9/7/02 report for Sebastian area flats by Capt. Terry[/#000080][#312c98]

While the somewhat scare of a tropical depression earlier in the week fizzled out with only rain for some the west winds put a hindrance for most of my flats that have been producing lately. Today was a quite the opposite. It looks as if the fall bait run is starting to show on these flats. Where there was bait there was fish to be caught. Topwater plugs has been producing some explosive strikes along the mangrove shorelines. Today my clients from Maryland had the privilege to see just how good it can get. For two very novice anglers they did well. The first fish to strike came when the sun was barely making an attempt to show itself, and what a fish it was. When we brought it to the side of the boat to get my Boga grip on it I saw a large gator trout with hooks in it's face. We brought it aboard and weighed her .She weighed at 6lbs.After the battle it was non stop line stretching with schools of large 6lb.+ Jack Crevalle for the next three hours. [/#312c98]

[#312c98]The fishing will only get better as the days begin to get shorter. Until then...
Keep the line wet and good fishin',
Capt. Terry

For more information on fishing with Capt. Terry [url "http://www.teleinfosys.com/EasyDays/"][#800080]click here[/#800080][/url] [/#312c98]
[signature]