Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry (Chicken Creek) 11/7
Awoke at 3:30 AM to get packed and ready to go. Had my cup of coffee then left to pick Huslter898 up at his house. Arrived to his place at 4:30 and packed up his things and left to meet up with Tincanfish. We planned to meet @ 5:15 at the spot but Al and I arrived at 5:00 only to see him waiting there for us! another case of the "I need to fish" syndrome that makes us crazy ones get up before any other animals on the planet. Wink

We arrived to chicken Creek just before 6:30 AM and the fish were rising like crazy, so Tincanfish decides to beat us to it and starts casting from shore and on the third cast he hooks a good sized cutt! I would say about 18 inches. but, it got off just before landing. HA HA!

We all launch and immediately tcf hooks and lands another nice cut. We could see luck was on his side this morning. I started with spinners and had some strong hits for a while but nothing woudl stick. Forgot to put superglu on the hooks. Wink 45 minutes or so later I caught my first fish, small little 8 inch cutt.

Petty arrived with Yper and son and we hooked up to chat a bit then we went off to do some fishing.

Didn't land anything for about an hour so I worked my way back to Al because I saw him hooking them like crazy.

[Image: IMGP0816.sized.jpg]

He was using white tubes so I switched and started catching them again. Caught 6 in the next few hours with white tubes and had multiple hits and hookups but lost a few. Petty would cruise over because he could see us catching fish and successfully stole our fish as he would head over. Dirty thief!

Around 1:30 or so I hooked a big one. Played with him for about 10 minutes then got him into the net. Gave him a measure on my little grid and he was over the 24 inch mark (the highest the grid went) so wasn't able to give him a proper measure til I got home.

[Image: IMGP0832.sized.jpg]

I hope Yper's shot turned out better than this one, don't mind the cheese grin. Wink Can't wait to see the pic.

What girth, this was one FAT fish. Kept this one for the dinner table since it was legal and fat enough for my wife an I. Officially measured out 26 inches and weighed on my little cheapo scale just under 5 pounds.

After hooking this one, things went to a halt for EVERYONE on this side of the lake pretty much. Nothing else hooked, a couple hits here and there but nothing landed. Around 3:30 Petty cruized over to make a business deal so he could get off to another piece of water to try and hook him, he hooked me up and started towing me to shore so I casted out to troll the way back. 3/4ths of the way back I had a big hit that hooked up, but it got off after about 3 seconds. Smile buh bye fishy. We said our goodbyes and went our seperate ways. Everyone left but Al and I so we decided to stick around in hopes they would turn back on just before dark.

NOPE. We stayed, got some good water excersize and caught an amazing sunset. Overall it was great fun. Some random shots below.

Painted Evening Sky 1
[Image: IMGP0825.sized.jpg]

Painted Evening Sky 2
[Image: IMGP0826.sized.jpg]

Hustler898 Evening float
[Image: IMGP0820.sized.jpg]

The Petty boat full of badasses
[Image: IMGP0817.sized.jpg]
[signature]
I drove right past the berry yesterday and actually thought to myself,"I wonder if craig is out there paddling around?" Sounds like you guys had fun. Did petty catch any fish???
[signature]
He did catch a few, not sure on his total numbers.

Will have to wait on the report from the other fellas. I know Al got close to 10 or so.
[signature]
beautiful day with some nice pic's.
[signature]
I could not agree more. The weather could not have been any better for the season. The water warmed up nicely, the skies were clear most of the day, and the scenery was absolutely amazing.
[signature]
i got 4, 3 where 20+, yper got 3 all under 20. yper jr got skunked.

dirty thieves huh? i didnt catch a fish near you. i was just trying to hit Al with a jig.
[signature]
haha! Ok, you are off the hook. Al deserves it for hooking as many fish as he did. Wink
[signature]
Hit me with a jig? Excuses, excuse you were trying to hook the fishies I had swimming under me Smile. It sucks how those Dang boaters crowd you out of your fishing hole! This one in particular would pull up right next to me evertime I hooked a fish. They kind of looked like the "Badasses" in the above picture. The strange thing is the one at the helm was talking something about playing with my 12 incher?[url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag('Tongue')"][Tongue][/url] Man I think I'm gonna have to bring some protection on my fishing trips. Jason, want to be my bodyguard? In return I'll let you reel in my fish.[url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag('crazy')"][crazy][/url].

Not sure how many I caught but 3 where over 20" and one was under 12". I don't think any were over 22". Lost alot on the retrieve and had hits every cast for awhile. Seems like the pattern up there is changing. Early, Early morning or no fish.
[signature]
[cool]Nice fish, CBR. Looks like a beautiful day on an awesome lake. Glad you guys got into them. Chicken Creek East is my favorite spot (especially on the ice). I need to take my tube up in that area soon before ice on.

As for petty's boat-I've seen petty's boat and "the swamp yankee" ain't that big! Must be wiper's. Glad you all got into fish up there!
[signature]
For a short while we had thought you were up there because someone on the radio was cutting in and out and i thought I heard "out4trout" when I asked who it was.

So a good portion of the day I was looking for you. Bah, you make that trip up to the berry let me know.

Next time I think I will probably rent a room up there so I can hit it a couple hours or so before sunlight. They were really active before the sun came up.

You're right, that wasn't petty's boat. I assumed just because he was driving it all day. Wink
[signature]
we where in ypers boat. if i was in mine i would have just ran Al over[Tongue].

cbr and al next time i wont bring your prizes fishing ill make you drive to ogden to get them.
[signature]
More excuse for me to chase them tigers anyhow. Wink
[signature]
[cool] I wish that was me up there worshipping with you guys at the church of the 7th day angler. Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you look at it) I was at the other church. Glad you guys got into 'em. We'll have to hook up at the berry before ice up.
[signature]
Hey Hustler898 and CBR,

Thanks for the cool outing. I had a great time. I caught 5 cutts and lost twice that many. I caught 3 on the mepps and 2 on a Crayfish shad rap. Two were about 20". I trolled most of that end of the lake over by the visiter center with the Shad Rap. I tried minnow's on a jig head in deep water with out any luck.

Hey Hustler thanks for the white tube.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
Wow what a great day, this is was the first time this year for Yper jr. and I to fish Strawberry, what the hell is wrong with me? All though we did not catch big numbers of fish, there were plenty of very nice fish being caught all around us. Talked with a couple of different groups of guys at the marina and they did very well also.

CBR here are pic's I have, I dont think they are much better than yours.
[signature]
[black]Next [/black][black]time, tip your tubes/grubs with crawlers or minnow meat. You'll triple your catch rate easy. [/black]
[signature]
Those are some awesome fish. The cool thing about the fish you boys caught, those are average size typical catches in the berry. And to me those are awesome fish. Wink They all fight quite a bit. Plus the company on the lake was sweet.

Thanks for the pics! Mind if I post them on my site?
[signature]
Was a pleasure seeing you hook that fish at 6:20 AM. Smile And on the third cast. CLASSIC!
[signature]
Al and I did add some worm dressing them once things slowed around 1:30-2. Not many takers even then, loads of bait thieves though.
[signature]
[cool]Wow! Well, whattaya know, petty really can catch nice size trout! I've only seen him catch 6 inch splake at causey, but I guess these pictures prove otherwise![Tongue]
[signature]