Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turks and caicos fishing update
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I thought that this deserved an fishing report update. November 5 was a special day. We caught 36 nice mahi, three 60 lb yellowfins and a sailfish all within one mile of the cut in the reef and less than two miles from the marina. One of the best days of action I’ve had in a while. Fishing was so good that I had no chance to fish for wahoo. Geoff Adams, Gwendolyn Fishing Charters http://www.fishingtci.com[/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the nice report. It sounds like the fishing is just about in full swing over there. Keep up the good work.[Image: biggrin.gif][cool]
[signature]
Hey geoff, what kind of tactics where you using? How deep of water were you in? Trolling? Chunking? what kind of lures or baits? Help us out boss, I might be able to use your stratagies here in Guam.
[signature]
I am ashamed almost to admit to going back to old tactics for this day. So those who want to be bored by details read on:

We catch big wahoos this time of year so we went out expecting to fish differently. We use 2 Yo Zuri bonitas 8 3/8 in orange and black color rigged on 480lb malin stainless cable (make sure NOT to use aluminum crimps) and then two weighted lures with octopus skirts for the riggers (we use Eat Me Tackle but Billy Baits or anything heavy works). This is the spread we were using and its deadly for wahoo, just troll at 10 plus knots. We saw a couple of Frigit birds and some crap floating in the water so I started to think dolphin.

We then started to thaw the only two packs of Ballyhoo we still carry but I find them completely unnecessary. I keep some carzy shad or any kind of 4"-6" swimming jig body that has the mullet or curly tail, basically any rubber jig body. Take this rubber jig body minus any jig and worm it on a 6 to 8/0 hook. Rig it on 80 to 150lb line and keep two or three of spinning rods. I keep those spinning rods spooled with spider wire because you never know when a big tuna will come in and you'lll need that high breaking strength. Don't touch the wahoo spread but feed two of these hyper rigged jig bodies into the spread and the dolphin, tuna and sailfish will kill them. Remember to rig a bunch of them, put a swivel on the spinning rods that way when a fish comes in just gaff, unclip the swivel and throw another one on. Some people like to use fake rubber ballyhoo but I find them expensive and hard to get here in the tropics.

Basically, that's it. Only advice I can offer above that is that in ten years of fishing almost every day of the week is that some expensive equipment is expensive for a good reason. These are the brands I trust with my daily life: Shimano, Suffix, Yo Zuri, Mustad, Pompanette, Sampo, Malin and Big Fish Tackle of course
[signature]