Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier Creek & Strawberry Reservoir 12/26-27
12/26 Soldier Creek & Strawberry
----------------------------------
We started at approx 7:30 AM at SC and found fish to be between 16-30 feet deep. I caught 2 cutts and 2 bows. No real size to them, not many hits and was slow. Mike caught a few cutthroats and his friend Jon caught a nice bow aswell. Around 1 PM we went to Chicken Creek and I caught 2 off the bat. Then it was dead until approx 4:00 and I pulled another 2 cutts out. Biggest being 19 inches. Slow day overall, not much being caught.

12/27 Strawberry Reservoir
----------------------------------

I started at 7AM in 17 feet deep water. I setup camp and got to it and after 5 minutes I had my first fish on the ice. I caught a total of 23 fish and lost 4 at the hole. Fish size ranged from 17-23 inches.
[Image: strawberry-cutthroatdec27.jpg]

Action was steady all day with some slow 45 minute periods where I couldn't get any of the fish hooked. I missed several hits aswell.

[Image: camp-cbr.jpg]

I was tent bound most of the day, the wind was roaring after 10 AM. Very windy, overcast, and cold but the fish seemed to be very hungry.

I pulled a cutt out that had its jaw broken and also had someone elses white tube stuck on his mouth. I took the tube for my collection and took a photo and released this fish to the wild. I don't know how it still lives, it had no jaw movement at all.

[Image: retardedcutt.jpg]

Below is a shot of one of two 23 inch cutts I caught today. GREAT FUN! First one made a run for it and ripped tonz of drag. The one I kept to cook weighed 4.3 pounds and was a fatty!

[Image: nicecutt.jpg]

[Image: mgb-challenge-cutthroat-23inch.jpg]

Great fun at the Berry and it was good to have another record day after the past 2 trips being slow.
[signature]
hey cbr
we were there yesterday with little success. we iced only 6 fish, only one being a bow that weighted in at 3 lbs. the rest were cutts
from 18 to 21 inches.
[signature]
now remember all cutts between 15 inches to 22 inches have to be released immediately please remember this it is the future of the berry plus i bet the ticket would be large I still can't beleive some people don't know that yet
[signature]
yea, i would hate to pay the ticket. we put all of them back except for the bow. my buddy took him home for dinner.
[signature]
[cool]Nice fish, Craig. It's good to hear you tore 'em up today. You sure are becoming a trout ice fishing expert in your first year! There's people that have been ice fishing for years that still don't have the kind of day at the berry that you had today! I can't wait to get back up there, but I'm going to St. George this weekend to visit the granny, so no ice fishing for me, but I might hit the little community fisheries behind her house. THere's supposed to be bow's and largies in there, and I forgot what else. There's a small chance I won't go if she's still sick, but I doubt it.

My next ice trip will probably be Saturday the 8th. With these storms coming in, there's probably going to be 2 or more feet of snow on the ice, but if we can get up there, I'm game!! Either the berry, Mantua or Echo or Rockport would be fun!! Let me know if you or Mike are free that day!
[signature]
Have fun in St. George, I have been told about a pond there that has huge largies but not sure of where or what it is called.

My fishing days are going to slow down since my new one is due in just 5 weeks. Time to marathon fish for another couple weeks then I am done.

I am aiming for Starvation or Mantua for New Years. Anyone have plans yet?
[signature]
Atleast you caught something yesterday, there were alot up there that didn't get jack! Smile

Hows your artworks doing? Selling any yet?
[signature]
nice report and pictures. Thanks
[signature]
I am going to be working Soldier Creek a bit more as it ices over, I love the fact that the bows are abundant there.

Anyone know why SC holds more bows than the berry? Wierd how you have to go thru 20 or so fish at the berry to get a bow and at SC you can get a bow easily every other fish.
[signature]
the art work is going good. putting one of my cat fish on e-bay this week and see what it brings.
[signature]
I hope it sells for atleast 100$. I myself would pay more for some of your work. Great work! That Walleye one looked like a vicious vampire walleye. Smile
[signature]
Hey Craig, nice report. I would rethink hitting Starvation next weekend. Went by there today and most of the lake is still open water. Ice is barely stating to skim over in the bays. Even if it does get a skin this week, i don't think it will be thick enough to be safe by next weekend.
[signature]
O4T, You might want to try Quail Creek Res. It has some bows and big largemouths and a few gills. Its located just north of St. George.

John
[signature]
Quail Creek just before Washington is where the bass are at. The community ponds are small and have small planter trout in them. You can catch some on a fly rod using wooly buggers, or other bigger nymphs. There is a fly shop called Red Rock Fly Shop that can give you some information. Also check at Hurst Sports for info for the bass. Good luck and let us know how you do in St. George. DKS
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the St. George advice DKSRenegade and bigfishrule.
[signature]