Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snaring Fish
[size 6] Snaring Fish
[/size]
[font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"][/font] [font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"] [/font] [font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"][/font] [font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"] [center][font "verdana,arial,helvetica"]Search Now:[/font][/center][/font] [font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"] [center] [/center][/font] [font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"] [center][font "verdana,arial,helvetica"][/font] [/center][/font] [font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"] [center] [/center][/font] [font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"] [center][url "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/theinquirynet-20"][Image: ap-search-logo-126x32.gif][/url] [/center][/font][font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"][/font][font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"][/font][font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]
[/font] [font "Arial, Arial, Helvetica"] [font "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"]By Dan Beard[/font]
Catfish may be chummed for; that is, attracted by bait cut up and dropped through the hole in the ice. The bait will attract many other fish, which can be snared with a slip-noose made of fine copper or brass wire and attached to the end of a line. There is nothing alarming in the looks of this instrument, and a fish will not notice the snare until it finds the fatal noose tightly drawn about its body.
It requires a little practice to snare fish successfully. I well remember my first attempt. A large "mud sucker" was discovered under an overhanging bank. Cautiously I crept to the edge of the stream, and with trembling, yet careful hand, I let the snare glide gently into the water. The fish did not move; by degrees I slipped the noose over the comical slippery head of the creature, and with a mighty jerk landed--not the fish, but my snare in the boughs of a tree that overhung the water. I was thunder-struck when I discovered that the fine wire of the snare had cut the fish completely in halves, and as the muddy water, stirred up by the commotion beneath, rolled away down stream, I beheld one-half of the " mud sucker " with the puckering mouth still moving, and the other half with its tail flapping in the water beneath.
It requires experience to learn just how hard to pull on a snare to catch a fish and hold it without breaking the line or cutting the game.[/font]