Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 12-31-04
Well I was finally able to make it up to strawberry yesterday with my boys and a couple of buddies..the drive up daniels, was nasty by the time we got their..I was pullen a 27' snow machine trailer and was kinda sceert, but we made it just fine..white out conditions, from the top of daniels to mudcreek, wasnt sure if we had made the right choice when we got to mud creek, cuz it was snowen and blowen, but the boys said "we were fishen", and off we went. Kinda glad we had the snow machines whenst we started off..they sure glide across that new snow with eez..we got set up and caught a few, mostly in the slot..My son decided to fish out of the hut and like he allways dose, with in minutes had this little beauty and showing him off.[inline "Skipy Jr.jpg"]

after introducing the little fishy to the group, he plopped him back in, and we settled back in our huts for a quick warm up..My pole started ticken and with the MGB, snap and slap, hookset. Kabamm jaws on..I new it was a dandy but when it made it just under the Ice, I was sure I wanted to get to know this fish a little better..I worked him for awhile and was able to get the head turned in to the hole and snap, went the line...but he was far enough into the hole, that I was faster than him and out he came to meet the family!!![inline "1 27.JPG"]

Cool huh...Wait it gets better..while we were having our introductions and showing our new friend around, I could hear the drag on my sons pole in the hut singing like a baby bird in the spring time...My son went in the hut and started screaming, like that guy he watches on them bass shows..so my pal Craig went in to see what all the hollaballoo was about and he started screechen..so I new that it was time for me and my new friend to part ways..and Plop down he goes to give some one else a chance to pull him through the ice..I runs around the tent and my son has the fish to the bottom of the ice...LUCKLY I had just give my young son the MGB.. snap and slap, hookset lesson and he'd done fine on the set..I knew at this point that I had raised him right, because he handed me the pole and said "Here you go dad..lets see what you can do" I could of cried....I reset the drag abit and starten worken on this brute..He would not turn his head..seemed like forever but...once he was in the hole my pal Craig went in after him and TA DA..
Meet the Family!!!
[inline "2 27.jpg"]

27 and 1/2 beautiful slimy inches came popen out of that hole and in to the fresh snow.. I couldnt believe it..2 27" swimmers in just acouple of minutes..what a day...and the snow had quit, allowing for the snow plows to work the canyon...How can you beat it...we fished clean out to mouth of mud creek...if you can tell the jig it is basicly just a goofy rubber jig and had them topped off with a whole meal worm..not pieces..we were in 20 feet of water and had cold beers and hot brautwurst..I kinda figure thats what attracted the brutes..Oh heres a kicker...notice the wedding band on my left hand..well when I started down daniels it was no longer a part of my ensemble...I figure, that those two slimy swimmers, took a toll on the friction that keeps such things in tact..I magin those big buggers are swimmen around that shinny thing and kinda gigglen to them selves...Huh..oh well you win a few you loos a few..Plus she was still here when I got home so...there ya have it.... My work has shipped me to Texas for awhile, but..they have the internet there too..so Ill be lurken...some where..Have fun!!![inline Gang.jpg]

Skippy the lurker!

PS...thanks for the tips Mike...wished you could of been there!!!
[signature]
Thats a couple of nice hogs. How many fish did you catch for the day? Is the main lake still open water?

John
[signature]
Wow!!! Nice fish Skippy!! And ya spin a good yarn. Thanks!!
[signature]
Holy shiz! Those are bigger than most of the lakers I've seen posted here.
[signature]
we caught maybe 6 is all but we were only there from 10 till 2..those two made the trip worth it!
[signature]
One of those would be worth the trip!!!!

John
[signature]
Skip how was the slush where you were at and how deep is the snow for us that are walking. Thinking of going up tomorrow. Thanks
[signature]
There was no slush while we were there...it was strickly powder and at least 12" deep..most people didnt venture out as far as we went cuz the walken would of been nasty..No way would a fourwheeler make it there yet.it'd just get stuck..we talked to some people on the way out and on the way in and they didnt seem to be doen too good!
[signature]
Still lots of open water on strawberry...my pal craig took a sled up to the top of one of the hills, he said it was all open around the bay! But mud creek is at least 12 inches of Ice!
[signature]
Those sure are some nice fish! Thanks for sharing the pics. Good luck on your trip away, we'll try to keep the fish "happy" while you are gone[Tongue]
[signature]
Those are a couple beautiful fish by any standards! I have put in many hours up there and have never caught one quite that large!
[signature]
Sweet fish . You are my hero !!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Great report and great fish. Thanks Skip![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
those are a couple of hogs. how much did they weight.
[signature]
WOW! Skip those are some nice ones. Thats what strawberry is all about, hoping to hook in to a big boy. I should of went with you, a little bit of a notice would of helped instead of a call as you where pulling out of you drive way.

Hurry and get your work done in Texas and get back so we can get some fishing in.

I am glad you realeased them. Those fish are important to keep the chubs in check.[:/] I hope you did release them and you are not just saying you did. [signature]
[signature]
Skip ,I have a little more time to respond now . I wanted to thank you for the report and also for releasing some nice fish . I just glad some people will release the over the slot instead of harvest . Bums me out to see the big ones get the axe .I would like to see the slot changed to 2 under 18" if I had anything to do with it . I'm sure they will help keep the chub down . Sweet fish dude . If I could only get MGB to give me the secret to the hook set . That boy has been holding out on me . LOL
[signature]
You know how it goes mike....you wake up..you look outside...you make a plan!...wished you could of been there...just think, with my sons luck and your expertise....HHHmmmm.. the music we could of made? Just so you know MGB those bad boys are swimmen so you can get a foto op with em....remember mudcreek....doesnt sound as good as the mariner...but like my pal said..big fish hang out in the mud!
[signature]
Hey HA...last tuesday I had a chance to go and didnt...tuesday afternoon there was one of my buddies with a 23"er out of chicken creek ..standin on my porch slimen every inch of my concrete...Sad Sad...my kids were excited and I asked what they would do with that fish...they said"well put it in the freezer dad"..we had a talk and then agreed it should of went back..they can smoke all the fish they want to from east canyon...but there is a reason those bigg guys need to live in strawberry...? Maybe the fish godds were happy with the boys? Oh yea just so you know my kids think I do that all the time so SSSHhhh!
[signature]
After a phone conversation with SkippyTheLurker he has convinced me he did release those chub eating machines. My hat is off to you Skip.

Kentofnsl, disregard the pm. He did released them and they swam away unharmed.
[signature]
What??????
[signature]