Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depth Chargers
[cool][#0000ff]When the fish are deep...over 20 feet...it takes forever to get down there with "bitty bugs". When there is a hot bite, it seems like you spend longer getting the lure to the fish than hooking up and reeling them to the top. If you are impatient (a fisherman...impatient?) you add some weight to your rig. A lot of ice fishermen include a small spoon or heavier jig as part of their "bait delivery system".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I started playing with using hammered lead sinker jigs for perch, walleye and trout...on Deer Creek and Yuba Reservoir...back in the late 70's. My "perch urchins" were large and heavy and plummeted to the bottom. And, contrary to what my fishing buddies thought, they did not scare the fish. In fact, I waxed them in both numbers and size. After they got through raiding my lure box, I had to make up some more, after the first batch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I recently started pouring some lead casting spoons, that have replaced the earlier hammered sinker jigs. They are working nicely, thank you. I also added a spearpoint jig mold to my arsenal, and soon saw the potential for making bigger "bait bugs". I have been making and using specially designed jigs, to work with a piece of "sweetener" on them, from 1/32 oz. up to about 1/8 oz. But, even the heaviest ones still sink slowly when dragging along a bit of bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My new "Perch Plungers"...or "Depth Chargers"...are heavier and streamlined. They range from 1/4 oz up to 3/4 oz. When glitter painted and decorated with some Krystal Flash or Flashabou, they are just about the size of a decent minnow. The hooks are from size 1 to 1/0. Those are big enough to handle a chunk of minnow or fish flesh, but not too big to catch perch...especially the porky ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the best things about them is that when you fish them vertically, as through the ice, they ride in a horizontal plane...like a naturally suspended fish. In fact, if you cinch up your connecting knot toward the back of the jig, you can get the jig to ride slightly nose down. You need to use a good knot and recheck it after every fish, if you want that effect.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]These were designed with perch in mind, but I am sure they will whack trout and other deep denizens too. I have done well over the years on the other species with my other larger and heavier lures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I just finished painting and decorating my first batch. I think I need to visit the depths of Rockport this weekend to introduce them to fishkind.[/#0000ff]
[signature]