Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Devil, Humboldt Squid
My son and two others caught 19 squid in 40 minutes 2 miles off the Newport Jetty. They did their homework and fished with #60 pound line and 20 inch, $20.00 jigs. They were virtually impossible to catch with the smaller stuff. The squid averaged 25 pounds and it took us (I helped)3 hours to prepare them in 4"x4" squares. It was really nice fishing from a private boat with only 3 anglers. Here is a picture of a 30 pounder
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8177;]
PS the the slabs of squid were so thick we had to filet the filets.
[signature]
That is a NICE squid George. I added the pic into your post for you.

Way to go.[cool]
[signature]
Nice one , George
Did you have to snag it or did he take the jig with it's tenticles?
I see that the picture was taken at night but did you get them in the dark?
And what did the rig look like?
[signature]
WFBR RADIO:There is some interesting stuff through the internet about the Humboldt Squid. They exist in the Ocean current called the Humboldt which flows from South America up to our locale. The Squid usually do not get this far up but this year they got up to San Francisco. There is a Mexican Baja town on the Sea Of Cortez called Santa Rosalia. It houses a group of fisherman on their Pangas that fish exclusively for the "Red Devils" every night, One fisherman can land a ton of them in one night and they have a local processing plant to handle the booty. The squid is sent mostly to the Orient. They estimate that in 25 square miles off the town there exists 10 million squid. If you look at the anatomy parts the tentacles are the two extra long appendages and the other eight are called "Arms". My son caught their squid between 1:30 and 2:15 in the afternoon. We cleaned squid for three hours into the night. The squid Jigs were about 15 inches long. The globe was about 8 inches and strung on a metal rod with six inches of the squid needles below it. It weighed almost 4 pounds. The squid were all caught by the arms.Of the 19 caught they probably lost 50 of them. They were caught at 200 feet and up. At one point they were on the surface.
[signature]