Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2005 Float Season begins (Quick float test)
Mikecromaine and I set out on Sunday afternoon as soon as the weather let up for a bit in the evening to go and have a test float of his new toon and my newly geared up toon at Provo Harbor.

We launched around 4 PM and found that there were some bugs to be polished before we could call us ready for big water. We only fished Provo Harbor for about an hour, Mike had a big TUUUUUUUUUG on his line that hooked up for a few seconds then off the fish went after spitting his jig. I had some little bumps that felt like they were white bass trying to bite my big walleye plastic. Once the sun started to go down we made our way back to the ramp to pack up since we weren't prepared for the darkness.

To both of our surprise, the weather was in the upper 40s, and we both dressed for cold ice fishing weather and we both agreed we were in the water but not cold one bit.

We both are busy this week making the necessary modifications to our setups then we plan to hit LB on Saturday for a proper float and assault on the walleye and whites. Smile

Lincoln Beach Saturday anyone?!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, we're gonna work on "pimpin rides" at my place Wednesday night. I plan to do a "reconaisance" mission on Thursday, if I can get away, to check out current launch conditions at LB, after the water has been rising. Then, I will also be assualting the citizens of LB on Saturday. There's gotta be at least one decent 'eye with my name on it. So, if anybody catches one with TIO on the sides, return it to the rightful owner. Deep fried with a side of fries will do nicely.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Haha! Count me in on Wednesday, I will bring my toon and all of the necessary gear, I need to re-think my sonar position as right now, when I have to row, i hit my console with the ores. DOH.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Necessity is a MOTHER. As we soon find out, not all craft are created equal...or with the same clearances, D-rings, frames, etc. That's why we have to "toon up" our own rigs to fit our fishing styles and to accomodate the goodies we want to hang on them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's one of the things I have been anticipating as I have looked at different models of toons. I need to be able to see a way to install the rod rack, sonar and/or motor so that I can still fish and maneuver without chaos. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am kinda set in my ways. I need a clear area on my right (cast right handed), so that means I have to have the rod rack on my left, or behind me. When you factor in the mounting and use of oars on a pontoon, that DOES impact how you will install the rod rack. NO WAY I am going afloat with only one rod again. Haven't done that since I started tubin', back in "ought stone age".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, plan on showin' up any time after about 6 PM and we will air 'em up and codgertate on gettin' em ready for fishin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, let's keep this gathering to only the guys that are planning on headin' out Saturday. We can field test our modifications and then have a general "Tubaholics Anonymous" meeting at the warehouse (Mike and Alan) maybe next week, to work on other rigs and fine tune our stuff.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
YES IT WAS MY TRIAL BY FIRE (WATER) I FEEL I GOT A PRETTY GOOD HANDLE ON IT. EVEN DID DOUNUTS IN IT , NOW I NEED TO SEE HOW FAST I CAN DO THEM. IT'S NOT JUST A TOOL TO CATCH FISH IN MY EYES IT IS ALSO A TOY TO PLAY WITH. WATCH OUT PEOPLE (FISHIES) MIKIE IS ON THE LOSE AND HAS A COUPLE SCREWS LOSE! I THINK THIS WILL BE ALOT MORE FUN THEN PUTTING A STRING THROW A JUNEBUGS REAREND AND USING IT AS A KITE.
[signature]
[cool]This sounds great! I'm going to try really hard to make it. My wife is waiting to hear from an employer she interviewed with last week and they should be calling her today or tomorrow. If she gets this job, she's going to quit her nighttime job with reservations, and i can make it. If not, I'll try to get a sitter and get my tube from my dad in-laws garage up in Layton before Wed pm. I'll let ya all know tomorrow. Hope I can make it, cause my tube needs some serious customizing! If I can make it, I'll stop by Sportsmans and pick up a fish basket, and some kids store to get a floating noodle thing, etc.
[signature]