Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Slab Spoons
[cool][#0000ff]I have been making and using (successfully) lead jigging spoons for both open water and icefishing. I recently got a bigger mold, to make larger lures. I have two sizes on the new mold...1.5 oz. and 2 oz.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I just finished painting up some of my first productions. I think they will work well for macks, stripers and larger fish at Strawberry. I know they will also work well in salt water. I used to use some like this that a buddy made for me when I lived in California.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can finish these off with trebles or single hooks. If you are creative, you can dress up the hooks with feathers, hair or synthetic stuff, like Flashabou. The final enticement is adding a strip of cut bait to the hooks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]These are designed for vertical jigging, but can also be trolled or casted and retrieved. If you want to add some action, you can easily bend the soft lead bodies into different shapes, to create wiggle, wobble or spin.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of these have prism tape. Others have glitter. Still others have glitter enhancement over a paint base. I plan to do some more colors and to make some glow in the dark models...using both the green and the blue glow powder I have. I'll also be doing some in hot pink glitter and chartreuse glitter. Those colors work well in the smaller sizes, so they should work okay on larger ones too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Man, you sure go through a lot of lead quick when you are pouring 2 oz. jigs. Takes a lot more paint and glitter too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
heres some better pics and some that i did last night to add to my collection.
[inline slabspoons2.JPG]

[inline slnspoons.JPG]
[signature]
I think I'm finally up to speed on the painting. I couldn't believe how long it took me to paint the first five. After I got the hang of it I was cranking them out pretty well. I'm just glad you let me have your glow paint petty[Tongue].. But seriously, thanks for hosting me Jason (again and again)...
[signature]
its good to see that you have some product thats almost finished
[signature]
[cool]Thanks too you and TD for all the advice and for alieviating some of the trial and error[cool]. I bet I've used more of petty's supplies than I should, but he's always a very generous and gracious host. I definately owe ya one smalls[Wink]...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Bro, you're turnin' out some fine work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was looking through my new Cabelas catalogs a couple of days ago and noticed a new kind of lure, using those jigging spoons. See below.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]

[Image: p030476sq02.jpg] Reel Bait Fergie Special Spoons
Fergie Special Spoons are proven deadly jigging spoons with the awesome strike-triggering vibration of glass and brass rattles. Available per each or in an extensive kit that includes a wide array of colors.
[signature]
hey there mr. Dude. those look pretty cool ill have to make some once i learn to do the wire
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, like we talked about, our next jig party might be "Working With Wire". It's easy, once you have the tools, materials and some basic understanding. It is a bear to try to figure it out on your own, and you get some pretty nasty looking bending jobs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Making good round clean loops and eyes is something you need to see and then practice, but I picked it up mostly by reading and then experimenting. The main tools are a pair of "round nosed" pliers, for forming the eyes around, and a couple of different pairs of side cutters and long nosed pliers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of the wire I use for spinners is .024 stainless. I seldom use smaller, but I will go to .030 and even .040 for spinner baits and buzzbaits, where you need more strength and rigidity. You can buy the stuff in large coils and it is not very expensive. One roll will make hundreds of spinners.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you wanna read up on wire lure making stuff, here is a link to a section from [url "http://www.tacklemaking.com/tacklemakers/default.php?content=knowledge/wire_baits"]TACKLEMAKING[/url] Magazine. You can go back to the home page and read about making all kinds of stuff, but this link is about wire. By the way, their instructions on making spinners are just backwards of how I do it. I form the hook loop first and then stack on the beads, clevice, blade, etc., before making the top loop. But, as long as you are happy with the end result.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
here is some of Bearclaws stuff

[inline bearclawjigs1.JPG]
[inline bearclawjigs2.JPG]
[inline bearclawjigs3.JPG]
[signature]
All I need now are a few more eyes and a clear coat. Then I can finally use them. You could have really made some good money had you charged me a daily rental fee for the space I was taking up in your shop.[blush] At least they're almost done! Then I'll gettem' out of your hair[Wink][sly][Tongue]... Probably just start another batch anyway though[Smile]...
[signature]
you started out slow but latly youve been picking it up alittle faster.[Tongue]
[signature]
Mr. Dude it seams Bearclaw has changed the name of the slab spoons to MORTAR ROUNDS. they make a big splash and you can cast them for distance.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]What's next...SHOCK AND AWE? Maybe seagull AAA. I'll bet you could bring down some low flying birds. Might be something for honkers on those days you left the blaster at home.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[sly]You definately have to make sure your spool is full. You can really huck those babies. Can't wait till a skier or wake boat buzzes us, jason is deadly acurate up to 250 yards with those "morter rounds" [laugh]...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They are meant for jigging, but if you put a slight bend in them, and troll or retrieve them with some speed, they are good for wipers, stripers and the like.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Careful, you may have to register them as deadly weapons. Don't let the terrorists know about them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]