Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bunny Bugger Jigs
[cool][#0000ff]This is the time of year I make up a lot of marabou jigs, for bass and walleyes. As the leeches and other creepy critters come up out of the mud and rocks, in the warming waters of spring, they become more of an item on the menu for many species. Marabou has traditionally been a good material for making leech imitations, both for flies and for jigs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been playing around with bunny fur this past year and have just finished making up some bunny fur jigs in the same colors and patterns that work well in marabou. I have been impressed by the super action of bunny fur in the water, and look forward to introducing these new creations to the fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Using bunny fur in the traditional wooly bugger fly patterns has proven very successful all over the country. So, I tied up my new jigs using palmer wrapped hackle feathers on the bodies and 1/8 inch bunny fur strips for the tails. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I used several colors and types of materials for the bodies. I tend to like a bit of flash, so I use crystal chenille on some of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If anyone wants to play with making flies or jigs out of bunny fur, the best place I have found, for everything from precut strips to whole bunny skins is [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/rabbit.htm"]RABBIT FUR[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of the jigs in the pictures are tied on 1/16 oz. heads and hooks from size 1 to 3/0. I fish these in shallow water, for walleyes mostly, and I like a slow presentation. Actually, if you use a slow pumping action on the retrieve, you do a good job of capturing the swimming motion of a live leech.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Marabou and bunny fur jigs are also ideal for fishing beneath a bobber when there is a bit of a ripple on the water. The rocking of the bobber makes the active fibers come alive. Tipping them with a bit of crawler helps too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
those look shweet
[signature]
Those look awesome TubeDad. It looks like you've outdone yourself again!![cool]
[signature]
[cool][#4040ff]I do plan to make up some "salty size" ones. I have a lot of good colors and will be making up some more hefty head jigs.[/#4040ff]
[signature]
I can't wait to see them. I'm sure they would get alot of attention with the underwater critters.[cool]
[signature]