Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing
[size 3]This snow makes me wish it was time for Icefishing. I was wondering where is your favorite place to Icefish and what lure or technic do you use?[/size]

[size 3]I like to fish strawberry the most and use a white foxy jig on top and a dicky peral on bottom tipped with either a wax worm or meal worm. I generally fish just off the bottom but when I go with skeeter I like to watch his fishfinder and reel up to suspended fish. I need to get a new fish finder for ice fishing but can't find the funds. I wonder if Woodruff will be froze around thanksgiving that is were I like to go for the first of the season. [/size]

[size 3] [/size]
[signature]
[size 4]Who knows what my favorite is, but I plan on fishing deer creek for monster perch, newton for a serious bluegill jerk, strawberry, starvation, and if they freeze willard, the gorge, and bear lake. The foxee jig has been one of my standard lures for a long time, but last year I found a bunch of small 1" chartruse grubs. Look like regular kalins but real small. On a light jig head they were awesome up on strawberry and hyrum. Once the ice starts and the ducks hit south america, we will have to move to a weekly ice fishing trip. I would love for someone to put me on utah lake and have a serious whit bass and walleye trip. If anyone has expirience and knowledge with the walleye through the ice here, that would be an individual who I would be in debt to for a long time. [/size]
Hey Predator, you need to hook up with WalleyeBob. He lives in Spanish Fork and fishes both Deer Creek and Utah Lake year round. He loves ice fishing and usually comes off the ice with dinner.

He doesn't post a lot on this forum because his computer is slow and he has difficulties posting to this particular site. Might be a PEBKAC problem (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), but we have had problems getting files of any size through his computer and his ISP (Hotmail).

Since he is registered, you might try sending a personal message and start making plans for a get together.

If you get serious, I will send you a sampler kit for some of the different baitbugs and roadrunners I use through the ice. Tip them with waxworms, a piece of crawler or a bit of fish meat. I have some scanned pics. I don't have them on a website though. Let me know where to send them and you guys can post them here. I can also provide instructions for making them.

I'm guessing that unless there is a serious elevation in water levels, the best ice fishing is going to be Pineview and Deer Creek. Utah Lake is so shallow that the fish will leave any area there is a lot of foot traffic or drilling. The harbors might still be a good winter bet. Who knows about Yuba?

If Willard freezes enough to support ice fishing, take your fishfinders along and start looking. Wipers are likely to be in the same areas they finished up in open water...or in deeper holes, down near the bottom. It will take a finesse presentation with a bait-enhanced jig to get them to open their mouths. Dead minnows jigged on a plain small jighead might be a good way to go. Might even put a couple of wandering walleyes on the ice. In years past, inside the South Marina was good for small walleyes for the first couple of weeks after iceup. But, that was when there was water in it.

All the ice fishing is going to be different this winter, because of the water levels. It will be like fishing new lakes, since you have to search out the new holding areas and figure out what the fish will hit under the current condtitions.

Dang it, I wish I was up there to do some drillin and dippin with you guys. I guess I'll have to be content kicking my float tube around in light waders and short sleeves. Those girls in the bikinis look at me real strange when I carry my ice auger across my tube. But, it helps keep the PWC away when I start waving it at them.
[signature]
[size 2]Well predator we would never know about your secret little tube jig cause you get in that ice shanty and never come out. I think you are sleeping in there and only dream of the fish wished you caught. I went a looked at your ice shanty at smith and edwards to night and took the wife. Well she didn't say no, just asked how much I would take the kid. Looks promising![/size]
[signature]
About the only place I have ice fished is Causey and Pineview. I always use Iceflies tipped with mealworms or crawlers. I look forward to getting out to some other holes with the crew here. And welcome to the boards Sparkle!!!!
[signature]
[cool]The ice fishing thing is in my blood, I can't wait! If Bear Lake freezes I'm all over it. Since I live in Logan, Hyrum and Newton are on the list for sure. Newton went even lower this year but is finally on the rise but the fish will be packed in tight and may be less active due to low oxygen levels. I like the Genz Worm lures tipped with maggots for bluegill, perch, LM bass, and trout. The same tiny lure has caught a lot of nice cutts and whitefish at Bear Lake too. I hope the ice comes on early this year!
[signature]
I seem to get more time off in the winter so I've taken up ice fishing . I like to put my dent in the perch population at Pineview while waiting for Berry to freeze . I like to use white & chartreuse tube jigs . I do well with the 2.5 " and 3 " tube jigs and the smaller stuff . Picked up a ice shanty last year ,I am eager to use it this ice season .
[signature]
Fishnate, I didnt know you were from logan. Hey the newton ice fishing has me excited. I have never ice fished it, but a couple years back I discovered the insane ammount of bluegills and perch in there during the summer. Had several awesome trips catching hundreds of fish. Plus the possibility of catching a bass or musky just makes me want to spend some serious time jerking fish out of an ice hole on that lake this year. We will have to get together and fish it when it freezes. Do you find the fish concentrated down deep by the dam end during ice over? We killed them mid lake against the west shore in the summer, but they were shallow chasing minnows up against the bank. I am not a fish eater so its important to me not to kill a bunch of fish. Have you had problems with fish death due to air bladder problem?
[Smile]Predator, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I just checked my email and saw your reply. I love Newton and I have some special ice fishng spots when the res is full enough, which it hasn't been for two years now. This year the only place I think fish will be is in the deepest water near the dam. Typically I fish in the upper end. If we hook up on a fishin trip I can show you some good areas. I target bluegill, crappie, and bass mostly and almost totally catch and release. So far as releasing fish I've never had problems at Newton because I fish in less than 20 ft so the air bladder doesn't expand. So far I have yet to pull a musky but I've seen some monsters cruising. I think it will ice over early this year because there was nearly 1/2 inch on parts of Culter over the pheasant opener and Newton is only 12 to 15 ft deep (comparable to Culter) right now. Let me know when you want to try it. I will try to keep everyone posted on the ice conditions up here the best I can.
[signature]