Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ready for a quiz?
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thought that I would add a little challange for the salt water fishermen/fisherladies. Her are 20 fish that are common to the coast of California. See how manny that you can identify. The answers will be provided at the end of the week. Good luck.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9003;] [ol] [li][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li] [li][/li][/ol]
[signature]
Perhaps I can help you to judge the contest. I caught 19 out of those 20 in last years contest plus 22 others.[cool]
[signature]
[cool] Dang, I can hardly name any of them. I guess us east coast guys have a few different things than yall.

1. B-Cuda
2. Ladyfish??????????????
3. Looks like a flying fish
4. Looks like a really long Menhaden or Herring
5. In the tuna family, not a yellow or blue. I'm thinking Bonito(football)
6. The nose isn't long enough to be any mackeral i've seen, but the body looks like it. ????????
7. ????
8. Pinfish or Porgy (picture not too good)
9. Grouper, based on the color, i'm thinking a Warshaw
10. Pinfish or Porgy
11. Looks really familiar, can't put a finger on it. Looks sorta like the rock bass we catch here
12. Dorsal fin doesn't look long enough to be a rooster fish, could it be?
13. Shaped just like a drum, but the wrong color
14. ?????????? Is that a fish?
15. That has Snapper written all over it
16. Not shure......... Is it half Carp? [laugh] Maybe a black drum
17. Whiting, weakfish, croaker........ Which ever one you call it
18. No clue
19. Shovel head
20. Fluke or flounder I'd say halibut, but you don't get those in southern Cali. do you? And besides, if i'm not mistaken, a Halibut's nose is alot more broad and pointed than your standerd flounder.

Well, I hope I got atleast a few right. I don't know if some of those are fish i've never seen or caught, or if the colors and off-shapes are throwing me off...........But that's a good little quiz there Dryrod!! This is a good way of familiarizing fisherman with different things and being fun at the same time. [Smile]
[signature]
Yep....... there they were !!!

In my 'A Field Guide To Pacific Coast Fishes'. If I only knew more details of the specific fishes shown in the picture such as age, gender, season, area inhabited (mainland - Island), results of last ckeck up, astrological sign, etc.

JapanRon
[signature]
That would be too much information to divulge. Just simply state the blood type and amount of spawned eggs that actually make it to adult maturity of each species.[Tongue][cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hey there tubeN2 and JapanRon, I forgot to exclude you guys from the $,$$$,$$$.$$ contest. Both of you are salt water aficionados and it just wouldn't be fair.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Will provide a list of species names in a couple of days but not in the correct order.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Hi there Dryrod,

Great Idea ! Why don't you do one for general freshwater and flyfishing? This is a cool idea for our different regional boards too as east, west coast and the GULP of Mexico all have little distant cousins, nieces, nephews and probably third cousins removed swimming around looking practically the same. Not to mention a different name for basically the same fishy.

I know the groupers are disatisfied with their names.... you can't be around them without them glaring at you, pouting, and being in a grumpy mood. Why there's even a whole species mad at us and are aptly named pouters !

JapanRon
[signature]
[laugh] Well, I was right on with the species we have on this side of the US. But I tell ya what, i've never heard of most of those other species of fish. Jacksmelt???? Opaleye????? [Tongue] I guess I need to fly over and spend a season in Cali to finish getting familiarized with the rest of the saltwater species i've been missing out on. Find a south eastern fish list and I bet the west coast guys will have the same problem.(if they don't cheat) [laugh] Either way, I can't wait to see what is what when you post the answers.
[signature]
[center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9156;][/center]
[signature]