Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13 Deer shot in Diamond Fork Canyon
Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 12:00 AM [url "http://www.harktheherald.com/print.php?sid=52590"][Image: print.gif][/url] | [url "http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Recommend_Us&file=index&req=FriendSend&sid=52590"][Image: friend.gif][/url]

DWR says 13 deer were shot in Diamond Fork Canyon

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SALT LAKE CITY -- At least 13 deer have been shot in Diamond Fork Canyon by people who did not take any of the meat and apparently did it for the thrill, wildlife officials said.
Vic Layton, a wildlife conservation officer with the Division of Wildlife Resources, drove to the canyon Sunday after a caller to the Help Stop Poaching Hotline reported six dead animals along [url "http://heraldextra.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=display_ads&file=index&func=display_ad&ad=00261058"][/url][Image: adlog.php?bannerid=208&clientid=192&...8f47ad2e4e][url "http://adserver.harktheherald.com/adclick.php?n=a1d19a67"][Image: adview.php?what=zone:27&n=a1d19a67][/url] the main road. He found those and more along a four-mile stretch of the Utah County canyon road. Another was found Monday.
"It was a killing spree ... something done for no reason other than the joy of killing," Layton said. "They were all within easy range from the road. There was no meat taken from any of the animals. It wasn't done by somebody starving to death."
Layton said it was possible there were other fatally wounded animals that may have gone a distance before collapsing and their bodies have not been found.
He believes the animals were shot late Saturday or early Sunday. He had patrolled the canyon earlier Saturday and saw no dead animals.
The deer included two mature bucks, eight does, two yearling bucks and a yearling doe.
Biologists say the loss will impact deer herds in the area for years to come.
"You can assume that each of the adult does was probably carrying twins," said Craig Clyde, a wildlife biologist for the DWR's Springville office. "There would probably be a minimum impact of 150 deer over the next 10 years. The numbers can really grow in a hurry."
DWR is offering a $1,000 reward for tips leading to the arrest of the poachers.This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page C2.
There are 4 comments on this story
[signature]
I read that yesterday, what a waste of a precious resouce. I hope they find the a**holes. I used to teach firearm safety for the game dept in Wash. State. One of the questions i was asked by the game warden in my interview before getting my license was. Is there any circumstance that would cause me to poach an animal. My answer was "yes". Not what he wanted. I told him if my family were starving and thats all that was available, I would not consider it poaching, its survival. He didn't like it but I got my license anyway. The article said no meat was taken...what the h*** are those people thinking? Crap like that really gets under my skin.
[signature]
That story really made me Angry! They called it poaching, but I don't think that the morons that pulled the trigger wanted anything to do with the animals. It was more of a slaughter than poaching. I hope they catch the loosers and turn them loose in the prison shower with Bubba and the chain gang.
[signature]
Ya this one really pissed me off too!! [mad]

It seems like a group of reckless idiots probably drunk out of their minds or something just did it for thrills. It's like a couple years ago when people were slaughtering the wild horses in Nevada. Such a freakin waste!
[signature]
Please don't classify all of us drunks that way. It could just as well of been a religious sect sacrificing the animals.
[signature]
ok, you're right. That was a crass generalization based on unfounded assumption and fueled by emotional response to this outrage.[cool][angelic]
[signature]
Has anyone heard any new information as to whether they caught the people who did this?
[signature]