Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was reading..........
one of my older issues of In-Fisherman and noticed a little article in their about west Nebraska. Their are four reservoirs that contain Wipers. Red Willow Res. has the state record Wiper thats over 20 pounds. Medicine Creek, Harlan County and Norton Reservoirs all produce wiper in the 10 pound range.

Man I can't imagine fighting a 20 lb Wiper. Thats got to be a thrill!!![Smile]
[signature]
Congratulations Teroy on being the Moderator of the month. Tube Dude poated a message some time ago that said that a five pound
wiper fights better than a 10 or 20 pounder. Hey TD, is that first hand info? WH2
[signature]
I never met a wiper I didn't like. Yes, it is first hand information, but it is subject to a lot of variables, as most rash and foolish claims in fishing.

I tend to fish with light tackle, so a three to five pound wiper can really kick my tail. When I have fished with heavier tackle, for the bigger fish, I suspect I was really "overgunned"...with salt water sized rods, reels and lines. If I had brought my own gear, I would probably have a different outlook.

My biggest was about fifteen pounds, hooked on a live shad in a lake in Texas. It put up a pretty good battle, even on the heavy gear I had borrowed for the occasion. I suspect that if I had my customary medium 7 foot stick with six or eight pound line, I might still be fighting that one.

I will offer, however, that big stripers are probably overrated. I have taken several over forty pounds and they are pretty much just a lot of weight to drag in. They make a couple of decent runs at first, but then it is mostly lift and crank, without a lot of flash.

I have never caught a wiper of any size that did not do it's best to terminate the connection between angler and fish. They are great. I will modify my original statement to say that I would rather catch a five pound wiper on any tackle, than a big striper on heavy tackle. Or have I just gone off down a different road? Hope there's some wipers at the end.
[signature]