Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pine Island Sound
<br><br>For the last two weeks the fishing has improved with lighter winds and warmer water temperatures. The Redfish have been showing up in the best numbers that I have seen in the last few months, and the Trout and Spanish Mackerel are throughout the sound. The Tarpon in northern Pine Island Sound are on just about all of the holes with a nice grass flat near by, and they have been moving on the beach as well. <br><br> <br><br>The beach fish are not always predictable in showing up. One day last week I saw over 500 fish in the morning and jumped 2 on the fly with a Black Death. The following morning with a similar tide I only saw about a dozen fish. Then the next day, they were back. When I haven't been fly fishing for Tarpon in the sound, I have been drifting live baits or cut baits over long flats and small holes if I can get a good float. While doing such a float with Trevor Elmquest we caught a 30" Spanish Mackerel, it wasn't the Tarpon we were after but it was a nice treat. I have also boated several Grouper, Flounder, and some big Redfish while Tarpon fishing in the deeper waters. This time of year you never know what you might catch. <br><br><br>