Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downrigger Rods
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Ok guys, I need a little help in the downrigger area. What is a recommended length and type of rod to use here. What type of action am I looking for also. I want to be ready to use my downrigger when I go the the Gorge and Bear lake.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Long and Stiff.

Also, A level wind reel is nice.
[signature]
It all depends on the type of fish your going after. Kokes you want something in the 7 foot range medium to medium light. Macks you want to go with something a little stiffer. It just all depends on the fish.
[signature]
I agree with D-mack on the rod and reel but it depend's on what you are fishing for...Obviously different species of fish require different applications. My Laker rods are 9- 10.5 feet and the play is incredible I use level wind reels as well and also have a couple mooching reel's. If I am going to fish Kokanee I will use 7 foot light glass rods with alot of play.
Good luck in whatever you decide
SOCKEYESLAYER
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Thanks guys, I am targeting macks, I want to have the right weapons for the fight.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
I use a 9' Shakespear ugly stick medium action rod and a shimano callcutta 700 level wind reel for all my downrigging. This works great for mack or anyother kind of fish.

Bodine
[signature]
try a loomis 7ft medium heavy it's a fun trolling rod .

good fishin,fishley[Smile]
[signature]
All my downrigger poles are 7ft medium heavy /with level wind reels with line counters.Iam not very tall and i have found that i miss a lot of hookup's with a longer pole.
[signature]
i use a pretty stout pole for macs, and a light one for kokes. using a light pole for the kokes is a riot!
[signature]
I use shakespear ugly sticks, 7'5" length with medium heavy action, Level wind reels with 20lb fireline on my reels. mostly macs and cuts at the Bear and gorge. I am very happy with them. no complaints
[signature]
I use the Diawa Black Widow DownRigger Rods ($35.00). 8.5' with the cheap ($45.00) Penn levelwind. I haven't had any toruble handling anything that has hit it yet. I haven't had anything "huge" on them yet, but at a Medium-Heavy, they should take what abuse I can dish out.
[signature]
I too use an Ugly Stik for a deep water rod. I like the flexibility of the tip. I love the Ugly Stiks.
[signature]
Hey AFDan,
Here's a link to a deceint trolling rod at a reasonable price.
[url "http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID={FC5F01EB-6DEA-4A64-B3D6-BACE98CC7DBE"]http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID={FC5F01EB-6DEA-4A64-B3D6-BACE98CC7DBE[/url]}

There combos are a bit pricy though. I have a Penn 209 level wind and a Abu Garcia Vantage Plus 5000c. I prefer the Penn. Will soon be going to a line counter.
[signature]