Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Adventure On The H.B.PELICAN (with picture)
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][left]The fishing trip yesterday was an ADVENTURE from start to finish. Before getting into details, I would like to thank BUTCH of the H.B.PELICAN (aka calpn trayt) for an outstanding trip aboard his Grady White, and Capt. John Deering, for inviting me to fish on his Parker SE.

I arrived at Capt. John's house on the West River at 7:45 AM yesterday and by the look on John's face I could tell something was wrong. "...the tide is high and I can't get my boat off the lift", were his first words to me. "John, we'll figure something out, don't sweat the small stuff", although at that time I really had no answer to the problem. "Lets post something on the TidalFish.com board, John". He replied,"lets wait until Butch gets here".

Shortly thereafter Butch came walking down the dock so we all three put our heads
together. Butch came up with the answer. "We'll use my boat. I live just around the corner on the South River." So off we went....to load up the H.B. PELICAN with light fishing tackle of all makes and types.

We launched the boat at 9:30 AM and started cruising down the South River heading for the Choptank River. We ran down the west side channel edge and stopped along the way to jig on some large marks as they showed up on the fish finder. These fish were holding tight to cover and wouldn't take any of our lures, although each angler was offering a different lure and color. This was the norm throughout the day, with the exception of getting on a few chickens when they were feeding. The several times we did get on these
chickens we caught stripers, some small, some medium, and larger. Butch landed these beauties on 2 consecutive casts.[/left] [left][/left] [left]
[/left] [center][url "http://web.ecomplanet.com/MESS3307/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/MESS3307CustomImage0271714.jpg"][Image: MESS3307CustomImage0283389.jpg][/url][/center] [center][#8000ff][size 1](pic was edited for size - click on pic to see full size)[/size][/#8000ff][/center] [left][/left] [left]The bite was short and we think it was do to the amount of boats in the area, but it's everybody's water and so we respect that.

While heading home we had some trouble. The boat stopped inside the South River. A special thanks to Curt Knight for towing us back to the dock. We loaded the boat in the dark and then safely returned to Butch's house after a very enjoyable and exciting fishing trip.

Thanks Butch and Capt. John for sharing your hard earned knowledge of the Chesapeake Bay with me. In the future I'm sure it will make me a more productive angler.

Equipment Used:
Light spinning and baitcasting tackle[/left] [left][/left] [left]Most Productive Lure:
Mr. Twister, 6", White, fished on a 3 ounce painted, white and black, jighead

Most Productive Technique:
Jigging The Bottom, Horizontally - Cast the lure out and let it settle on the bottom. Keep the rod tip down, just above the water, and pull the rod back, causing the lure to have swimming action, INSTEAD of a pumping action.

Fishing Tip:
Fill the gas tank up before each trip and use the 1/3 rule when boating. 1/3 tank on the way out, 1/3 tank for the return, and 1/3 tank for any problems that may occur.[/size][/font][/left]
[signature]
Thanks Tom for another great report and as one smart cookie said to the other, it takes a smart cookie to pass along a tip but it takes a wise cookie to follow one.

Rowing to shore would have been rough. Even rougher if you get stranded in the shipping lanes like my sister and dad did with out even a paddle to get out of the way as I watched the freighters pass by nearly missing them with the freighters horns blasting away and me standing on shore and there was nothing I could do.

No biggie on the pic sizes, I am just keeping our sponsors happy, besides I like to see the ads. And making pic in a pic is fun for me.

I am looking forward to your next trip and tip. Oh ya before I forget those are a nice looking pair of stripes.
[signature]
Tom,
Thanks for a great report.
I call it a great report because you had a great day with some great anglers. Even with some minor problems like a boat that you could not launch and running out of fuel, you still enjoyed your self and your fellow anglers!
Nice pic too! Tell Butch I said nice catch![Wink]
[signature]
[size 3]Dave,[/size]

[size 3]Thanks for the reply. I don't understand what you are talking about here:
Quote:No biggie on the pic sizes, I am just keeping our sponsors happy, besides I like to see the ads. And making pic in a pic is fun for me.
Please explain.[/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[size 3]Ssor,[/size]

Thanks for the kind words. We have many friends who post on the TidalFish.com original message board and they are always a radio or phone call away. A great bunch of anglers who will always help each other get on fish or assist during a setback (no gas). See: http://www.tidalfish.com/boards2/viewthr...2&id=85741
[signature]
[cool]Tom,
Thanks for the link to the site. It is one that I had not seen before. Seems like a nice group. With time it will grow as BFT has. I myself think that I can navigate Sites perty well but to me it seemed a bit confusing. One thing I did notice was to setup a signiture for your posts there was a yearly fee! that was a suprize to me! I might check in now and then to see how the site and message board are dooing but for the most part my navigation will remain around the great users hear at BFT. Again I thank you for the link![cool]
[signature]
[cool] hi Tom

This my clumsy way of saying that I am here for any one who wants to make pic’s and don’t have the programming to reduce the size to 400 pixels. we ask that every one keeps their pics down to 400 pixels in width.

The pic in pic thing I am referring to is that when I reduce the size of the pic I can make a link from the small pic to a pic of original size that will pop up in another window so it can be viewed at its original size.

When the pic opens it may seem smaller than the one here on this screen but if you move your arrow over the pic you will see an expand button pop up and it will make the pic its original size.

Pic’s can be sent to me (via privet message) for resizing or I can post them in some ones reports if they don’t want to mess with all the settings it takes to post a pic.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Dave,

[#00ff00]Thanks[/#00ff00] for explaining about the pic size. I crop down the pics in the future.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]
Tight Lines,

Tom[/size][/font]