Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking the kids out
Fishing and the great outdoors offers kids an alternative to many influences they encounter in their busy lives today. A single fishing trip could be the turning point in a young life and we encourage you to invest the time in your kids. The rewards are endless and it takes so little effort.
Each state offers many opportunities for kids to fish and experience the thrill of the “tap-tap-tap”. Watch the eyes of a youth light up no matter how big or small their catch may be. You have the opportunity to experience it with them and share their joy.
The secret to making a fishing trip a success for youth is to plan the entire trip around their interest level. As adults we enjoy the “fishing” and kids typically first need to experience the “catching”. If they get hooked on catching, they will grow to enjoy the fishing. Consider the following as you plan your trip:
[Image: 1spacer.gif]
• Keep it simple.
• Begin by fishing for pan fish or catfish. Success is more important than species.
• Make it a reasonably short trip to a close by body of water. A few hours at most.
• Pack a fun lunch and make it a part of the experience.
• Take time to throw stick and rocks into the water along the way, kids love that.
• Use basic tackle at first - the simpler, the better.
• Focus your praise on their participation rather than their catching.
• Share the beauty of the outdoors with them during the experience.
• Be ready to quit when you can see that they are done.
• Be ready to extend the time if they are having success.
• Be a good example for conservation and preserving our fisheries.
• Teach them “Catch and Release” when appropriate.
Keep the focus on the kids and adapt to their wishes – you’ll be a hero. Not all kids are destined to become fisherman so present the opportunity and see if they like it.
[signature]
Great post lonehunter.
I agree with you 100% and would like to add:
Take plenty of snacks (as well as the fun lunch)
If the kids would rather explore, catch bugs, look at minnows, etc. let them. As long as the overall experience was good they will look at a "fishing trip" as a good time to do lots of fun stuff.
I often take my girls to a local park with an urban fish pond. The pond is full of planter fish with no fins, it's crowded with unethical people who take their 4 fish limit to the car and then come back to the water for more. It smells a little funny sometimes too. About 100yds from the pond is a great playground where they bounce between and the pond. So when we go "fishing" at the park it means to them; fishing, swinging, monkey bars, fishing, snacks, slides, running around, and more fishing. Overall its just fun!
[signature]
[cool] That's an awesome tip for anyone. Keep this in mind as well, it doesn't just have to be "kids" that are affected in that way. My "future" father in law use to hunt all the time. Now, his health has gotten so bad that he isn't able to do alot of walking, hints he can't hunt anymore. I took him fishing for the first time and I could see the tWinkle in his eyes the first time he caught a large sized catfish. Everyone, regardless of age, needs something in thier life they can turn to in thier spare time that is of interest. A man without a passionate hobbie in thier life is a man that has lost purpose in life. Something simple like fishing can spark hope back into someone's life that maybe has lost it along the way. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Children that are introduced to fishing learn so many moral qualities from the sport. I began dating my girlfriend and she already had a 9 year old son. I've noticed a complete change in his attitude since i've been in his life. He never had anyone to take him to do things like fishing and such. Fishing has made him want to learn and read. He is way more patient now and pays attention to what he's doing. He's motivated to do things and he even behaves better.

All in all, sports such as fishing benifit everyone's life that pursue it. It's something that anyone can do regardless of age or sex, and it's a good reason to get everyone together and get out of the house. There is unlimited knowledge that can be learned and the experimenting qualities of the sport are unlimited; so there is no way to get bored with it if you're a little ambitious. There are so many different species and techniques, you could fill a lifetime trying them all, and a life well spent.

One thing I will mention that I have found to be really fun is entering the tournaments and things like that. Take pictures and post them on the internet. Set goals, compete with each other if nothing else but between the people with you. When you add competition into the equation, it makes things that much more interesting. There are usually small local tournaments all over the US, and they are usually cheap to enter. You're local DNR or Chamber of Commerce should have info on that.
[signature]
AL, well written, [cool]

Keep um comming.....
[signature]
Last Saturday, when I went fishing, there was a couple that brought their two kids and a rod + reel combo (with a hook and bobber) to go fishing. The kids seemed pretty amused by casting and what not, but they seemed upset- because they could not catch anything, since they had no bait or lures. After overhearing that, I took some of my nightcrawlers, cut them each in half, and gave them to them. One of the kids managed tio catch a panfish about ten minutes later, and they could not have been hapier.
[signature]