Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good trip to the Gorge
Sockeyeslayer, Jed Burton, and I left for the Gorge on Thursday and had beautiful driving weather. When we got to the Gorge the weather did it's usual every afternoon thing and turned to crap. We tried fishing and I caught a three pound laker and Jed got his first of two record breaking lake trout.
[inline "Jed Laker 2.jpg"]
We got blown around and rained on so we went back to the docks and had some great steaks.

Friday morning the weather was beautiful but the fishing was some what slow. We did end up keeping five nice kokes that turned into some beautiful filets. These fish averaged about 3 to 3.5 pounds.
[inline "Five kokes.jpg"]
[inline "Jed kokes.jpg"]
For those of you with exotic tastes and like trying new things Jed Burton makes good smoked barracuda. I tried a piece and it was good but I can't recommend eating it quite like Jed does. When he runs out of zip loc bags he improvises and puts smoked barracuda and bran muffins in the same bag. That makes for some interesting tasting bran muffins. I personally wouldn't recommend this especially since the smoked fish, even in the bag, smelled up the whole cooler and boat.
[inline "fish and muffins.jpg"]

Saturday morning was a beautiful morning and ended up being great for fishing. A friend of ours was on the lake so I jumped in a boat with him and left Jared and Jed to fish together. We ended up catching quite a few nice kokanee and letting more go because they just didn't meet the standards. The standards this morning were high for kokanee when we caught three that were four pounds or better. The biggest was 4.6 pounds with a slight hook jaw. He was a great fish, especially for this time of year.

[inline "Jared and Jed kokes.jpg"]
[inline "Jared kokes.jpg"]

Jed ditched us Saturday afternoon and we tried fishing Saturday night but once again the weather blew us off the water. I think the weather cut our fishing time this trip in half but we still ended up with some great fish. Jared and I fished Sunday morning and kept four more nice kokes and threw back a little guy and a couple rainbows. Once again I am amazed at how much gas those motors can go through. Jared and I each put a substantial amount of money into gas this trip and could have put twice as much in. It was well worth the expense for a great trip even with the weather being as brutal as it was. It is always so hard to come home and go back to work after a fun trip like this one. Thanks to sockeyeslayer for his charitable nature and hosting us on this trip. I'm sure I forgot some good details and will have to add them later as needed.
[signature]
Nice fish!! And thanks for the great report. Some friends of mine caught some of those big kokes last week when I was up there and were nice enough to grill some up for us. Yummee!!

That wind and afternoon lightning every day sure does suck, doesn't it?
[signature]
Looks like a splendid trip - I'm heading out there on Thursday for a few days, where'd you guys have the best success? I assume pink CripLures behind a sling blade where still doing well?
[signature]
Thanks for the report . I sure miss hookin' a few of those kokes . Nice fish .
[signature]