Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier Trip Local
Hey there guys,

Rode the Premier today. Danny skippered, Mikie decked, and Deborah was the cook. This lady now figuratively owns that galley. Got great anchovies and a few nice smaller sardines. Hit a couple of spots on the 'shoe' early but got only a few barracuda for our trouble!

Decided to gamble and do a long run down to the Newport area. Got there with lots of Long Beach and San Pedro boats coming down with us or already there. Water was looking pretty nasty and I assume cooling. Everybody was just scratching along with no real bite developing. Marks were good but close to no takers and fewer leagals was the result of 3 or 4 stops. Can't say we just sat on a spot all day !! ha ha

After working the spots pretty good, with little confidence in things inproving there.... we headed back up to the shoe and tried a little deeper water a little outside around the rigs. The water cleaned up but assume the water temperature was still sliding even.... if just a little bit. Did ok on the rockfish (salmon grouper, reds) then came back inside to try for the calico, sandbass or possible cuda bite. (as it didn't materialize in the am) Lots of guys say if the morning cuda bite doesn't come off, there will probably be no afternood bite but I wonder!

Anywho ...... Nice marks where-ever we dropped the hook and chummed but ..... few fish to no go. Tried the plastics almost excusively but hits were few and far between .... even with 4 foot leaders of 12lb test fluro! Everyone was doing bait on the dropper loop. Jigs sure didn't seem to do any good. Early afternoon saw the cold wind and current start to kick and conditions became unfishable.

I don't usually say much about angler behavior but .... this one guy .... on the starboard side tried fishing two rods, letting this blue neon line just swing back behind the boat tangling people as it 'drifted' with the wind blowing, boat swinging, current ripping. Being told he'd put it away .... then there he was again! I have a two-rod stamp myself but it ain't applicable on party-boats and yes I read the DFG interpretation in their booklet! That guy needs to be on a week-end twilight at the peak of the sandbass season for a little edu - cation.

TOUGH DAY! Just about everybody fished hard but not one of the better days experienced this season. The rockfish stops saved the day for those wanting to take home a good sack of fish. Granted calicos, sandbass, and barracuda (won jackpot) were caught..... just not the usual numbers.

Got back to Pierpoint landing around 4:30. With that .... I'm still goin' Friday ! Weird how one day is off and the next is game one and wideopen.

Great boat, crew, and fishin' buddies.

JapanRon
[signature]
It looks like you stuck it out well enough. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are there and not hungry.

As far as the guy with the second rod stamp. Does he know that is only good in smaller, non salty lakes??? ha ha.

I saw something similar to that on a boat. When the captain yelled out "Roll em or troll em" the poor guy only had time to get one up before the engines were fired up. He ended up with one of those propellator fishies. Those things can spool you in a hurry if you're not paying attention.[cool]
[signature]