Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge 7/2-7/5
I arrived Friday night to meet up with BLM and his wife. We camped at Lucerne Campground. Saturday morning we got up and headed out fishing. After jigging at swim beach for a couple of hours with no success, we headed out to troll for macks at Antelope flats. Unfortunately on the way from S.B. to A.F. I managed to get a T-50 flat fish treble through my ear. (pictures of that will come later) Thanks to BLM he was able to get it out with no problems but gave him and my wife reason to laugh at me all day. At the end of Sat no fish.
Sunday morning we got out on the water at 6 am. Headed straight for S.B. again. Marking fish and getting a few bites. At 10 am we found a mound in 85 ft of water holding alot of fish. NO bites but we gave a place to head on Monday morning.
Monday morning BLM and i headed out for S.B. After locating the mound again I hooked up with a 19 lber and BLM shortly after got a 15 lber. With a few more bites. Tuesday and my last day we got on bite among us.

Fishing was very slow, the company was great. We got to hang with Lee and his wife from Lee's marine. We had great food and drinks. Definitely a successful trip in my book, even though a lot of fish was not caught.
BLM is still up there, and hopefully hooking up on some big fish and kokes!!
[signature]
Hey Polokid-

Thanks for the report. Glad you were able to find a few biters. I'm hoping to get back up the week of the 18th.
[signature]
There used to be a Polokid about 6 months ago that would post here from time to time. I hope that he doesn't mind that you are using hid name.
Just kidding Rob. I don't have the patients to fish that long for only a few fish even when they are that big. Sounds like you guys had a good time though. I will be at the Gorge for two weeks starting this Monday.
I hope to fish the Green, the Gorge and several other smaller lakes like Matt Warner and Sheep Creek.
I can't wait to get up there.
I will look for you on the ice, if I don't see you sooner, Dale
[signature]
I hope he got into them. When we were there the locals told us that after the full moon (week previous) the lakers got lock jaw and still didn't start biting. ARGH.

I am planning another trip up there VERY soon with lake trout being the main target.
[signature]
Thanks for posting a report about your trip, look forward to seeing a picture of that big fish. I guess you guys did not try for any other fish, kokes, smallmouth? I've been wondering what happened to BLM, I haven't seen a post from him in a while, now I know.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Man, this vacationing is rough duty! Two weeks ago I spent 10 days on the Northern California coast and SF Bay and this last week we invaded Flaming Gorge for 10 days. Here's a link that my brother put on the Nevada Board on some of the fishing we did on the bay. Also here's some pics of one of the California Halibut I caught in the bay and a typical SF Bay striper.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=208379;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Salt water stripers[/size][/black][/font][/url][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline SFB1.JPG][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][inline SFB2.JPG][/size][/black][/font][/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ya, 10 days on the Gorge is tough duty! I see Polo has left his rendition of our fishing for macks but he neglects to add how many fish we missed. Only one morning was slow, the other mornings were fairly active with several strikes and no hook ups except of course, Rob's ear piercing with the T-50. Good thing Dr. BLM was there to remove it. BTW, Your bill will be in the mail. Unfortunately, the day we hooked up, the memory card in my camera wasn't initialized and I didn't get some pics. Later that day we figured out how to initialize the card and the camera worked! I hate it when the camera is smarter than me.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]After Polo left, we did a little Koke fishing with good results. We fished from swim beach to north of the pipeline using sling blades and kok-a-nuts in 60 ft of water. The hot pink kok-a-nuts worked best and so did greens but you had to put up with the small macks on the green colors. Here's a pic of some of the kokes we kept.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][inline fg1.JPG][/size][/black][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The camp host, Gary, at Lucerne Valley Campground, gave us a recipe for Kokanee with "horse relish" in it so we tried it out. It was just awesome! I need to get it written down before I forget it.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Always amusing were the antelope in camp. The "twins" were there with several does with fawns on them. Seems like the rabbit population was way up with cottontails everywhere. Here's a few pics of the "boys":[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline fg2.JPG][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][inline fg3.JPG][/size][/black][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I also took a crawdad trap and we managed to get a good supply of "daddies" for Jambalaya. So, so, good! Team that up with a pitcher of beer margaritas and your evening is set![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]One morning we went out with Lee and Dixie from Lee's Marina. Lee brought his nitro powered RC boat, the Shockwave, and we ran a few tanks of fuel thru it in Swim Beach. We used the Boomerang for the pick up boat and Lee's "tub" as the fueling dock. What a hoot! Here's a pic of Lee and Dixie, on their new boat, getting the RC boat refueled for another run around on swim beach.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline fg4.JPG][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center]
[signature]
Nice Report with some nice fish . Wish I had vacation .
[signature]
Great report and excellent photos. Glad you got in a nice vacation. We're going to need to hook up and go chase macks one of these times. They sure get tight lipped.
[signature]
Great variety of fish you caught during the past few weeks. I talked to Dixie at their shop last Thursday she said they couldn't get you and Rob to do any Koke fishing all you wanted was to go after the macs, looks like you gave in. Nice report and pics.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Well, let's just say the intent to catch a few kokes was always there even though mack jigging won out. I ended up trolling kokes after Rob left because I was fishing with my wife and she neither has the patience or focus to jig macks. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I mean, c'mon! Who can resist the opportunity at big fish? Don't get me wrong, kokes are fun and great table fare but, for me, the big macks are the real draw at the Gorge although seeing a fish catch air a second before the riggers release is very cool too. I guess its all good. Glad there are a lot of options fishing the Gorge. We never did go after rainbows or smallmouth.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Great reports Rich, how much did that halibut and the largest kokanee weigh? What happened to pictures of the big macks you and Rob caught? Sounds like you guys had a nice vacation and back just in time for some more good wiper and walleye action. See ya on the water my friend.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The California Halibut shown in my picture, which tops out at about 40 lbs and a substanially smaller than Alaskan Halibut, weighed about 12 lbs. We caught another 17 lber and lost a few others.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The largest koke we caught was 3-1/2 lbs. Just beautiful fish, those kokes.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]My camera decided I needed to initialize the memory card when I pulled it out to take pics of the first mack. The camera won't work until the memory is formatted to the camera. I had only formatted the memory once before when I first bought the camera almost 2 years ago so I was a little vague on how to do it and that blasted thing has a million menus... Anyway it was too late to get pics of macks that morning but we got it figured out later that day.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I had a feeling that was what you meant when I did not see the pictures and you said the camera did not initialize but I had to ask.
When you were describing how that koke came out of the water before you knew you had it on, it brought back the memory of the same thing that happened on our last trip to FG. I was on the Port side of the boat and the fish came up on the starboard side. Ira and I looked at each other, like, is that your fish or mine, then my pole went down. There sure are a lot of those bigger kokes this year.
I've seen a few pictures of the halibut the size you caught and smaller, they must be good eating in that size.
[signature]