Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Padre Island Reds
The reds have been tailing and pushing water behind the Convention Center on (Padre Island Texas,Lower Laguna Madre) They will follow a bait and nudge it on occasion but I could not get them to bite.I wade fish and pretty much throw artificials, plastic bodies on jig heads, gold spoons, etc.I know this could just be the mood they are in. Any suggestions?
[signature]
thegame,
This time of year it seems that the reds are going after cutbait and dead shrimp. If you are using the artificials add a peace of dead shrimp on the rear hook and hang on! They are realy going after the shrimp right now. You are fishing a great location to pull in some nice bullreds. Give it a try and let me know if it helps the bite for you.[Wink]
[signature]
Did you have a chance to try out my sugestions yet? Hope all went well for you down on the lower end of the Island. The Reds are still nailing the dead shrimp and cut bait up around the Port Aransas area.[Tongue]
[signature]
No I have not got a chance to try the shrimp on a lure trick yet but I will.

Saturday I caught and cleaned over 50 lbs.of sheepshead,3 nice specks and 3 nice mangrove snapper.About 3 days before that I caught 10 nice mangroves.All of these fish came from the Brownsville ship canal in Port Isabel.There was quiet a few reds caught but they were all about 18 inches.Its a lot of fun but not real challenging.We plan on coming up that way some day soon and trying out some new water.

J.G.
[signature]
IT sure sounds like you had a prety good week this last week. Did you have a chance to look at the post on the Texas board about the BFT Gettogether set for April. It is going to be a great time for all that can come. There will be a tournament on 6th of April. It has some restrictions to make it fair to all that enter. The restrictions are You have to fish from the south getty at Port Aransas. The other restriction is No Boats!
If you think you can come let me know.
I would like to ask a favor of you. I don't have any contacts down around Port Isabel or the South Padre Island area. I realy want to get the word out about this. So I ask you to spred the word and let them know about our message board here at BFT. If some one registers and posts a report on their daily fishing, the report is entered in a weekly contest.
The gettogether is for members of BFT and will be held for a whole week starting on the 3rd of April.
Come up during that time and meet other members in person.
Save some money and stop by another angler for a couple of shrimp to give that lure trick a try the next time you get out to try for the Reds. What did you catch all them Sheeshead on? Looks like them Mangrove Snapper are comming on good too!
I enjoyed your report and I thank you for it. Keep them reports comminng as each one gets a seperate entry in the weekly contest.
You have a great and safe week on the water![Smile]
[signature]
[center][Image: winner.gif]

[#ff0000][#ff0000]This Weeks Winners wins[/#ff0000] [#000000]"[/#000000][url "http://www.fishingcomics.com/"][#0000ff]The Complete Fishing Comic and Joke Book[/#0000ff][/url][#000000]”[/#000000]

[#ff0000]Week Ending 12-14-02:[/#ff0000] [/#ff0000]
[/center]

I caught the sheepshead and mangroves on live shrimp.I use a small #2 are so straight hook with a couple of 1/8 splitshot ( weight depends on strength of current ) a foot are so up the line. I cast it up current and let the water slowly push it along the bottom.Keep in contact with your bait for feel and give them time to run with it before setting the hook. I am sure this is nothing new to you salts. [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage0457199.jpg][/center]

Jeff
[signature]
Jeff,
That is the kind of details that we need posted for the newer anglers out there. That is one of my processes but in a slow current or current change I have used no weight and just let it fall to the bottom and slowly pull it along the bottom. It is true that you do need to keep a close contact as some time that bite can be verry light. Too much slack in the line can cost you a catch and a loss of bait! You brought up some great pointers to help other angles that are not use to fishing the tide currents. Thank You for the tips.[Smile]
[center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage0465299.gif][/center]
[signature]