Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did I Make The Right Decision?
[size 2]This past Friday evening I spoke with a client who had been scheduled to go out with me that following Friday. We both agreed on canceling his Saturday trip due to the fact the forecast was calling for winds 20 knots out of the southwest for the entire day. This left me with a decision to make; stay home and work, or go fishing and explore as much water as possible. Reluctantly (ha-ha), I took the latter.

Just before arriving at the ramp after crossing the Hanover Street Bridge, I looked at the water and it was slick. Great, I thought. I'll travel out on the Bay and look for active stripers. By 9:00 AM I was located near 6 Foot Knoll and searching for fish on the finder, or working birds. To my surprise, neither was available. My enthusiasm was still high....after all this was my first stop. I motored down the western shoreline, crossing 7 Foot Knoll, 9 Foot Knoll, Belvedere Shoals, and other productive areas known in the Upper Bay. Again, and again, the same thing kept happening...no fish on the finder, or working birds.

Next I crossed the Bay and headed over to Love Point. On the way I saw 2 other boats out on the Bay. They were trolling and having the same luck I was having. I thoroughly checked out both sides of Love Point and again ...no fish on the finder, or working birds. I then traveled up to Man-O-War Shoal via the knolls listed above. Bad news...no fish on the finder, or working birds.

Back to the Patapsco River I headed and fished some new locations, along with some past structures that have been productive. I looked at my trip feature and found out that I had traveled 75 miles on the water that day.

Believe it or not, I had a great day. I learned more about striper fishing, tried new locations, and yes, I caught and released one 20" striped bass.

Most Productive Lure:
Bass Assassin, 7", Albino Assassin fished on a 1 ounce Pope's unpainted shad jighead.

Most Productive Technique:
Jigging the bottom.

Water Temperatures:
Bay - 44.6 degrees
River - 46.7 degrees

Fishing Tip:
If your are deciding between purchasing a 4-stroke or 2-stroke outboard motor, you might take the following into consideration. 4-stroke motors are rated as being less pollutant and more efficient. It costs me under $25.00 to travel 75 miles, at an average speed of 29.8 mph this trip. These fuel savings can help you pay for your next boat.[/size]
[signature]