Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streamers
Just a quick question. I have never used streamers and I'm planning on doing so this weekend. I have been reading up on techniques and was wondering, in a medium sized river with a moderate flow, what's the best technique? Should I dead drift or some kind of fancy retrieve? Any tips? I know FG probably has something to teach me right[Tongue]? Also, about how far is just right to put a split shot without spooking the fish? Somethings say about 18" others will say about a foot, which is better?

P.S. This forum is awesome for help like this. Thanks y'all!!!
[signature]
Do you do much wet fly fishing? I use streamers almost like wet fly swing. Cast across a decent flowing section of water let the current pull on the belly of fly line, when I hit the end of the swing l'll strip it back to myself

Hope that makes sense
[signature]
I agree with Maddawg, throw straight out in front of you and let it dead drift down. On occasion, I will pull my rod tip to the other direction and then slowly go back to following the flow.
I don't fish streamers with split shot, I use a streamer line (it's like 75' of floating with a 15' sink tip.) I will even use my Type II line. Not crazy about a big fly with split shot.
As far as split shot, depends on how deep the water is and where you want that fly. I go any where fron 8"-18" when I am fishing a nymph. Again, if you are not using an indicator, try the straight out in front of you and let it drift, maybe try stripping back at different distances to cover more water (short to longer so as not to spook any fish)
[signature]
I would just add that sometime I get away with weighting my streamers when I tie them and using a long leader. Depends where and when I'm fishing

Trent
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]By design streamers mimick bait fish. Vary your retreival and depth much like you would when bait casting. To improve the action attach a split-shot to the leader just ahead of the fly and give the rod tip a bounce now and then as the streamer drifts downstream[font "Times New Roman"][size 3].[/size][/font][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]