Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike at Fletcher's Pond
Hey, I came to Michigan for the first time and I really wanted to catch some northern pike (we don't have 'em out West). I went to Fletcher's Floodwaters or Fletcher's Pond up north, and my brother and I caught about eight or nine pike in two days. We also caught quite a few largemouth bass, a bowfin, and a bunch of pumpkinseed. See the attached picture -- I caught this 28" northern on a mini spinnerbait (green) with my light weight rod and 6 lb test line (with a wire leader). What a fight that was! It was a blast! We caught other pike on green plastic grubs, a diving plug with pumpkinseed colors, large spinnerbaits (mostly white), and a large bucktailed Mepps spinner. The lake was very weedy, and the weedless lures were working best.

- Steve
[signature]
congradulations...

nice catch, not bad for a first timer..., actualy thats pretty Good for any one....

you picked a good pond to fish out of, been almost 30 years since I last fished there, I brought in one 26 inch pike off the dock with a black jitter bug right at dusk....

Thanks for fishing michigan and hope you will keep us on your future fishing destination list.
[signature]
wow, fletcher's pond , that one slipped by me . i never concidered it as a summer destination for pike because of the fantastic bass fishing it has to offer during this time of year . fletcher's floodwaters is our shops winter "hard water" spot for pike , some of the guys take their weeks vacation time to spend at jack's landing .
i'm glad fletcher's was to your liking . hopefully next trip you can get a little more time to discover lake st. clare . harsens island has a boat rental place that is excelent on service and price . a 14' boat, moter and fule are $25.00 a day (from sun-up till dusk ). 40 lb+ muskey are cought right off the rental's dock , huge northers are everywhere . the bass are "world class " .
i've been targeting lake erie walleye and au sable steelhead in the spring , bass and manistee trout in the summer , tippt dam salmon and tawas bay cats in the fall . on hot midsummer days there's point mouley bow fishing for carp , early spring i'm going after pentwater lakers and tawas bay burbot on the shelf ice , those gills are best off the beds in the spring . just after the spring steelhead runs we have the "omer suckerfest". those fall salmon runs are unbelivible , thousands of salmon cover just about every river , creek and stream .did i mention the perch fishing ? it's fantastic just about everywhere .

i hope you come back soon , we've got a lot of fishing for you to do .
[signature]
Hey, I should have posted a link to some more photos from the fishing trip. Go to: http://www.kroes.us/michigan2005/ and see the pictures. If you click on any of the little photos, you'll see them bigger.

Lonehunter, I wish I could come back soon. It will probably be years from now, though. I have tried to get my wife interested in renting a vacation cabin on a lake somewhere in northern Michigan for a week sometime. With all the cost to fly the family out there, though, she'd rather go to Hawaii. Can you believe that? [Smile]

Good luck with all that awesome fishing you described in your previous post! It sounds like a great place to live.

Steve
[signature]
thanks for the pic's...

sure looks like a mighty fine day of fishing....
[signature]
it is [Smile].
Davetclown would like to get a few members up during the fall salmon runs , if you ever get a chance to do so a weekend trip would be well worth it . i do personally know of two guides for the rivers and a couple of the lake charter captins .
but hawaii , yea , i'de vote for that trip too [cool] !
[signature]