Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuart Inshore Report: 12-06-02
River fishing remains strong, especially in the deep water around area bridges where resident mangrove snapper, black drum and snook top the list. Outgoing tides have been more productive, but there are still plenty of fish hitting during any tide movement. Live shrimp on 1/8 oz. trollrites have been working great on 12-lb. test. The drum have been running between 3 and 8 pounds, providing some excellent rod-bending action. Most of the snook caught during the daylight hours have been undersized, with the big boys being caught at night. One good snook fillet would sure taste pretty good after all that turkey!

I haven’t fished the grass north of Jensen Causeway lately since trout season is still closed and I really don’t like to target off-season fish. The trout season re-opens January 1, and if you elect to seek out the trout during the closed season, please crimp the barbs on the hooks or lures and release them in good shape. DOA’s rootbeer and glo shrimp worked slowly will catch a bunch. When releasing these fish make sure you wet your hands to minimize the damage to the trout. One Catch 22 charter did spend a little time in the grass further south in the Sailfish Flats looking for some pompano. It’s been a hit or miss and after dedicating a half-hour on two separate trips with minimal results, the obvious plan was to fish elsewhere. A few guides did report pompano catches, but they seem scattered and scarce, with no real size showing yet. I did witness some small pompano being caught off the Quarter Bridge, but they were mixed with the ever-present ladyfish. Larger fish in better numbers should be arriving shortly and sand fleas on a pompano rig or redfish jigs will probably produce the best results along with Nylure jigs off the bridges.

There are plenty of jacks in the Inlet to 5 lbs. that keep the anglers on their toes and the rods bent, along with ladyfish, flounder, bluefish, black margate and snapper of all species and sizes. The Spanish mackerel have been plentiful just outside the detached jetty, south to Peck’s Lake. Last week a few of my charters saw better action than others, fishing similar tides and seas. Go figure!?! On Tuesday, we fished one hour near the detached jetty, catching over 25 “macs” to 3 lbs. Thursday I ran all the way to Peck’s Lake and just found a few scattered around. I expect the “mac” attack to strengthen beginning in the next week or so and it should remain strong into March.

There’s plenty of fish action right now and I hope everybody takes advantage of it and has some real angling fun.

Capt. Bob Bushholz

http://www.catch22fish.com

(772) 225-6436