Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOT!! South Texas FRESHWATER REDFISH @ San Antonio
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Fishing Report: 9/27/05
Lakes: Calaveras/Braunig @ San Antonio, TX.
Conditions: Temp. 88 degrees
Color: Lt. Green, visibility: 3-5 feet
Bite condition (scale of 1-10): 7-8
Fish quality: average 8-14 pounds each!

Greetings;
Fall has finally convinced Mother Nature to let it come in! Days have started getting shorter and the water temperature is dropping. The combination of these two factors is what drives nature into triggering hormonal responses in the fish's actions. Besides the current weather, this is the time of year we wait all summer for. Tolerable temperatures with so many things starting to happen outside, leaves us wondering which we should do next. Hot enough for you? If not, maybe a trip to Phoenix would warm you up! I'm so glad we are at the threshold of new adventures and cooler temperatures to enjoy them in.

RADIO: If you're near your radio on Saturday mornings, I am now the host of "Todays Angler" radio show on AM 760, Fox Sports, from 6-7 A.M. You can also visit and be part of our "Forum" with questions, answers, and comments. We'll chat about anything! Let's hear from you.

Dove season has been great on our lease, actually, the birds are still holding in their evening return flights to town, making the pass shooting pretty good. The northerly winds that are due to arrive, normally bring in some of the larger purplish northern Mourning doves.

Seeing Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, it's Reds! The decreasing amount of daily light and temperature conditions have triggered our fall spawn into a pretty good pattern. We have been seeing good numbers of schools of these 'hormonal' fish and their ritual maneuvering through the spawn period. We are at about week two of a 7-8 week pattern. The past week I have seen schools of Reds 10-15 feet thick and at one time I crossed about 60 yards of them! Some of the catches have been 9-14 fish per half day, with weights in the 7-14 pound range. This is more of a "chasing" game, as the Reds roam almost continuously bumping and rubbing against each other and rocky structure. As for our technique, clients usually leave it to me to choose the most productive. With most of the fish forming stratified layers, usually between 15 - 35 feet, keeping a lure on them is the hardest. Thus, we have downriggers to control our presentation depth. The strike is about like drift fishing as we wander along using electronics to try and stay on the schools. I'm open to most any technique the clients have a preference for. Casting, jigging, and dropping live bait is effective as long the fish hold still for a while. These techniques involve a lot of work and concentration where as trolling is a snatch and grab and head for the back of the boat. Well, snatch a rod and let's head to the lake!

Catfish and Hybrid-stripers are our second game. The spring pattern this year showed good numbers of stripers, just shy of keeper size. As the water cools more, they should start showing up.

Fall in Texas; where should I start? Ducks, Geese, Trophy Tom turkeys, Redfish, Stripers, deer, and hogs! Looks as though summer is finally on it's last leg this week. I sure despise those three months of summer, but the remaining nine sure make the wait worth it.

I offer up to six exclusive special Trophy Tom turkey hunts each year, guided or un-guided. I've been seeing usually between 10-30 birds in our turkey flock at the feeders. Duck counts look good this year. Most of our hunts are done south of San Antonio, about one hour or a trip to the coast. Our doves are still holding pretty good to their evening flight path, back to the city. The cooling northerly temperatures usually bring those larger northern birds as a second surge in the season.

Shooting:
As a retired U.S Military training NCO, I offer personal shooting and rifle care instruction. It's surprising the number of people that pick up a rifle and pull a trigger, thinks that's all there is to it. Most shooters can reduce their bullet impact area in half by just using 3-4 basic techniques.

With fall setting in, don't forget your fall boat maintenance and storage items.

So, until the next nibble occurs, "........ may screaming drags and monstrous fish romp in your dreams!"

Thanks, Jeff
M# (210) 383-1119
< [/size][/font][url "http://www.alamoredfish.com/"][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]www.AlamoRedfish.com[/size][/font][/url][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] >[/size][/font]
[signature]