Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobber-Head Jigs
[cool][#0000ff]I haven't contributed for awhile. Thought some folks might be interested in a style of fishing with jig heads that I have been playing around with. The attached writeup will go into more detail.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Basically, the bobber-heads are designed to fish bait below a bobber. You can use any old jig head or even a plastic, feather jig or baitbug, but sometimes "plain vanilla" is even better. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been pouring jig heads on the super sharp thin wire Matzuo red jig hooks. These things are SHARP. I lose blood everytime I handle them. Great weight loss program. They really work great for hanging bait under a bobber. When the fish hits, the hook hangs on until you can set the hook.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On one of my last trips to Lincoln Beach, the water was a few degrees cooler and the catfish were slower than they had been. Using the bobber-head jigs to present a half minnow, right above the bottom, was the difference between taking home 4 nice channels and zippo.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The attached writeup and pics should pretty much explain the jigs and the methodology. I am sure that there are a whole bunch of potential applications. The best ones are in shallower waters or using a slip bobber to reach greater depths.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Pat, this is EXCELLENT stuff here. Thanks for sharing this with "the class." Sounds like I need to get me a dart head jig mold next when I also get my first roadrunner head jig mold. I look forward to making these nifty little creations (probably this late Winter/early Spring) in anticipation for the walleye and early cat bite of next year (when I have a little more dough). Of coarse, Christmas is coming up, maybe I'll get both molds for that[angelic]

Anyway, I was wondering what the name and brand are of that float that you were using in the pics there. Also, this is a silly question, but can you explain the difference between a float (like the one in the pic) as opposed to a regular red and white plain vanilla bobber as well as the good old "clear bubble" type trout bobber that you tow a fly behind, etc.?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you like 'em. First of all, there is no need to invest in another mold if you just want to try a few of those heads. You bring the hooks and I will let you use my mold to make a trial supply. If you decide you are going to be using a lot of them, then you can spend the bucks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][Image: acces_ajustabubble.jpg][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The float is an A-JUST-A BUBBLE. It has a hollow rubber core down through the center. You run the line down through that and then twist it to secure it to your line at the desired depth. You can also lift out the stopper to allow the float to fill (partially or totally) with water. They come in clear, red and white or chartreuse. I got my last ones at Sportsmans. They also come in several sizes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are many many different designs in floats (bobbers). All will work just fine. It is easy to spend more than you need to, but if you become a knowledgeable and experienced float fisherman, you will come to understand and appreciate the differences in designs and actions on the floats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I still use a lot of the good old "red and white" spring clip bobbers (sometimes chartreuse is more visible). I also fish flies behind the clear bubbles. But, for a lot of my bait fishing on Utah Lake, I like the quick adjustment feature of the bobber in the picture. Playing with the springs and clips on those others can be frustrating in the cold and they can crimp your line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In deeper waters, where you want the jig and/or bait to settle more than a rod length deep, you should use a "slip bobber". With these, you set a "bobber stop" on your line, at the desired depth. The bobber slides up and down the line, but stops when the jig has pulled the line down to the set depth and the stopper comes up against the bobber. Those things can really be the ticket when fish are suspending at a precise depth.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks for sharing the info Mr. dude this is some good stuff[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad ya likes it. I have some stuff just about ready to post on custom coloring plastics. Also, one from the past on making different kinds of small ice jigs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Are you still planning on having a "gathering" up there anytime soon?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
as soon as my garage remodel is complete ill be getting a gathering set up.
[signature]
Tube Dude,

You need some more things going on when tubin.

Try these little planer boards for tube trolling.

They come in 4 sizes.

Pretty cool flipping direction.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Pretty cool...but I do not troll. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I deleted your pictures from the main post because they were too large...800 megapixels wide. Our limit is 450 for anything included in the body of the post. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, that is pretty close to being an "unpaid ad". We allow people to display their handcrafted stuff on this board but we generally refer you to the advertisers board if you are just trying to sell something.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks, TubeDude

I need to learn how to cotrol picture size.

Mentioning any product is a form of advertising.

I have used them to troll from my belly boat and they are very productive compared to casting.
[signature]