Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Indian River Fishing Report
November 3, 2005

INSHORE:

Cooler weather this week has brought some showers and winds to the Treasure Coast. It finally cleared up some of Wednesday and should continue to improve into the weekend. Water temps have dropped into the 70's from the cold front and cooler night temps. Now if the water can just have time to clear up before the next front moves through.....

Trout fishing has really picked up in the river. Early mornings with top water have been providing lots of trout action on the flats. Live baits should be pigfish, pinfish or mullet. Live shrimp will also work, but the trout have to compete with the many catfish in the river for a tasty shrimp right now. Clint and I had forgotten that trout season closed November 1st and will remain closed until January 1st.

Snook fishing has been improving at night along the jetties, bridges and turning basin. The north bridge in Fort Pierce has been the most active recently. Live baits and jigs will provide the best opportunity at a keeper snook. The flats will be active in the early mornings and late evenings for snook action. Try some top water as the water smoothes out on the flats along the mangroves.

There is still a nice redfish bite on the flats. With the cooler water temps, move around the deeper cuts of the mangroves for a chance at a slot size redfish. Soft baits worked slowly across the bottom will give you a good chance at one. Also there are a number of reports of nice sized flounder around the inlet and flats. I know Doug from Florida Fish and Hunt found himself a nice fluke hole! I found a couple nice 24" flounder in a deep cut along the mangroves this week. Live bait fished on the bottom along with soft baits fished slowly will entice a flattie into biting.

Jacks and ladyfish are still patrolling the river and wreaking havoc everywhere. Lots of fun to catch when things slow down. Just toss about anything at them and they will rip into it. Hopefully, the pompano will be showing up in the river soon and provide more fun on the water.

Tip of the Week:
Keep the latest Florida Fishing Regulations handy along with a way to measure your fish. Seasons open and close and slot sizes can be confusing. Don't ruin your day by keeping a fish that could cost you much more than you wish. Know size and seasons when you fish and have fun out there on the water.

Have a safe weekend. Remember, fishing is not just another hobby.....it's an ADVENTURE!

Good fishing and be safe,
Captain Charlie Conner

email me at: captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com
visit my web site at: www.fishtalescharter.com
772-344-3187 or 772-284-3852 (cell)