Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Pike ?
Although it was declared extinct in September of 1983, the blue pike has not disappeared from the minds of anglers. Rumors that the fish still exist in small lakes in Canada and elsewhere refused to die. Yet there could be no proof because scientists lack a good sample of blue pike DNA, which is necessary to prove that any particular fish is a true blue pike and not simply a variation of the common walleye.
The blue pike was once an important part of the ecosystem of Lake Erie and a significant catch for the commercial fishing industry. One of the few fish in Lake Erie to spawn in deep water, the blue pike preferred the clearer portion of the lake (primarily the eastern two-thirds) and chose deeper, colder water than the walleye. It was quite successful, providing an annual commercial catch that often exceeded 20 million pounds (an estimated $150 million today).
Apparently the blue pike was unable to tolerate the pollution of Lake Erie. (Habitat changes and overfishing may have contributed as well.) The most recent successful spawning occurred in 1954, and the fishery collapsed entirely within three years.
It is possible that a few blue pikes were transferred to smaller lakes, where they never completely died out. Without the crucial DNA from a real blue pike, scientists were unable to determine if reported fish were really blue pike. Fortunately, an angler named Jim Anthony has been keeping a fish in his freezer for the past 37 years--a fish that he strongly believes is an actual blue pike.
Anthony's fish does have usable DNA, so the next step will be determining if the blue pike and the walleye are very closely related. If they are, they have probably interbred to such an extent that distinct blue pikes no longer exist. If they are not closely related, the search will begin for living blue pikes, which have been reported in Ontario, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee.
Perhaps living specimens could be bred and reintroduced to Lake Erie, but some fisheries managers and fish and wildlife agencies are concerned about interbreeding with walleye or destructive competition with them.
"We would love to have them back, but we want the original ones, and that's the key," said Roger Knight, supervisor of the Sandusky Fish Research Unit of the Ohio Division of Wildlife. "You can build false hopes and there may be pressure to stock blue fish in Lake Erie, even if we're not sure they are the original blue pike. We're not about to introduce another strain of walleye into our lakes where our walleye are doing fine." (As quoted in the New York Times, March 15, 1999.)
Scientists hope to announce whether or not the DNA from the frozen fish is distinct from walleye DNA this May.
[size 4]Update[/size][/url]
Dr. Carol Stepian of Case Western Reserve has confirmed that the fish from Jim Anthony's freezer is the offspring of a female blue pike and a male walleye. Unfortunately, this means that its DNA is not that of an authenic blue pike. She continues to analyze samples from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service but has not yet found an actual blue pike. She says, "I'm not saying there may not be blue pike somewhere. I just haven't seen them."

[size 2]Sources: Pam Belluck, "In Angler's Freezer Since '62, Fish May Refute 'Extinction'," New York Times, March 15, 1999.
Paul Schiff, "Blue Pike," Twine Line, October 1986.
"Blue Pike: Still Extinct from Lake Erie Waters,"Twine Line, July/August 1999.[/size]
[signature]
Interesting read, thanks for the share,

I never knew there was such an animal, we lost a cisco specie to the extint list, mostly due to comercial fishing,

nets cant distinguish between what is in season and what is on the protected list.
[signature]
Yep , same as the true Jumbo Perch , netted into extintion back in the 70's .
[signature]
not to mention the aligator gar pike and the paddle fish... gone around the same time as the blue pike.

polution was realy bad around that period, it was leagle to dump every thing in the waters back then... the gar went to the net and the paddle went to polution. Paddle fish need clean water...
[signature]
I don't miss the hundreds of grease balls you would see floating in the water or washed up on shore .
I remember all to well the day that Dad said we could no longer eat fish from the river (Detroit ) . Fishing except to fish is all you could do .
The impact polution had changed the ambiance of our waterfront town . Slim's boatlaunch lost the hordes of anglers that would stand in line before daylight waiting for a good wooden craft to rent for the day . the boats rotted and sank , the docks surcumed to the winter elements and became driftwood , the mooring cables were about the last original remnants to be seen after the land was sold off to the steelplant .
The Carters hamburgers fishing dock soon filled with silt , in my day it was nothing to let that shakespear baitcaster peel out 20 feet of braided cloth line before it hit bottom , now a couple of feet of water is all you can hope for . the concrete embankment cracked , partally submerged offers no clue as to it's former title as best darned fishing spot on the whole river , bankfishing that is .
Cold november mornings with a cup of Carters hot coco , a bag of there steaming hot french frys and a bucket of Slims minnows, now thats the way to fish for the perch run .
Sure we have a boardwalk on the waterfront now , a few youngsters and oldtimers fish from it regulary , but that little parking lot dock was the hub of the fishing community , everyone Smiled , took there time to boast a little about the big one that got away and took time to let the youngsters untangle a cast gone astray while the grownups nipped from a bottle in a brown paper bag and continued with the remember whens.
We even had a kid that shined shoes while you fished .
Those were the good old days , we all have our storys and memorys we hold onto .
Does a little bit of trash left on the bank or tossed over the side of a boat hurt ? Each and every time I see it , some youngster somewhere is robbed of memorys like the ones I hold near and dear to myself .
Pollution large or small has more of an impact than most people realise .
[signature]
Maybe they should look in grand lake in Alpena
[signature]
Hey B.A. !
Great to hear from you [cool].
I stoped by during the fall , sometime during late october and nobody was home , the grass needed some trimming under the pick-up , LOL!
[signature]