Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
history of jig making?
Can anyone tell me where i could find info on the history of jig making? im trying to to a speech for my college oral communications class....thanks in advanced.
[signature]
send tubedude a pm he will be able to help you.
[signature]
I DONT KNOW WHEN IT HAPPEND BUT A FLY FISHERMAN GETS THE CREDIT . ON A OLD TIME INFISHERMAN VIDEO THAT DESCUSS THIS IN DEATIL. A STEARMER FLY WAS USED AND A SPLIT SHOT ADDED TO THE HEAD.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]CROSSINEYES has it right. A lot of fly fishermen, who fished streamer flies, used to add split shot to their lines to sink the big flies down where the larger trout lived. Some of them put a split shot right up against the eye of the fly and it worked so well that they started pinching a split shot on the streamer hook before tying the fly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was years before someone had the concept of using a bent shank hook and pouring the lead directly onto the hook, making a jig. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I started making a lot of my own jigs back in the 70's by using jig hooks and then crimping split shot on the jig hooks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I once put forth the theory that it was snaggers who invented jigs. I used to see a lot of walleye snaggers on the lower Provo River that used a weighted treble hook, with a piece of yellow cloth or foam tied on to help them guide the snag rig toward the fish. On some occasions, a stupid fish would actually munch the decorated snag hook.[/#0000ff]
[signature]