Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowtail on the San Diego
[center][Image: winner.gif]

[#ff0000][#ff0000]This Weeks Winners wins[/#ff0000] [#000000]"[/#000000][url "http://www.fishingcomics.com/"][#0000ff]The Complete Fishing Comic and Joke Book[/#0000ff][/url][#000000]”[/#000000]

[#ff0000]Week Ending 1-11-03:[/#ff0000] [/#ff0000]
[/center]

[cool][#000099][size 2]High wind and small craft advisories be hanged, I went down to Seaforth this morning for the Coronados 3/4 day on the San Diego. I'm glad I did. Weather turned out beautiful. I kinda figured the Santa Anas would lay the swell down, and that's what happened. Couldn't ask for a nicer day to go fishin'! [/size][/#000099]

After loading up with some beautiful sardines & choves (don't get too close to the tank. You could lose a finger! [Image: bigsmile.gif]) we headed for the Coronados. The crew informed us that iron on the yo yo has been the go lately. Zilch fish on bait. Down to the bottom with heavy iron and WIND WIND WIND!

We spent the day on the west side of North Island in a kind of slowed down run & gun. Look for the meter marks, chum heavy, & "Let 'em go!" The hook never got dropped all day. We and the El Capitan had the place pretty much to ourselves.

Fishing was typical for this type of fishing. Some of the stops produced multiple bendos, some didn't. They never busted wide open, but there was enough action that we didn't get bored. Fish were a very nice quality with most in the 20# class. And they are FAT! Big girthy fellas. JP looked to be about 25# or so. I was told the final count was around 25 fish for 16 anglers. I would have guessed more, but since all but one were iron fish maybe a few got unbuttoned. Proof that even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile, I managed to go 3 for 3 on fat forkies([Image: shocked.gif]) By far my best day ever with the iron. Maybe I'm learning.

We had to work for our fish. The people who fished the hardest got the fish. You had to be ready to get the jig out on the Skipper's cue and spend as much time as possible on the grind.

Hot irons were 6X and 6X Jr in scrambled egg, blue/white, and green/yellow/white. 2 of my fish came on a 70's vintage Salas Yo-Yo 4 in blue/white with the flat side painted with green glow paint! [Image: loveit.gif] I was using that one since I'd loaded my bag with the wrong iron box & all I had was that, MegaBaits and a bunch of surface irons. My lone 6X heavy blue/white broke on the first fish. I mean BROKE! The fish hit the deck, the jig went one way, & I was left with just a welded ring on the end of my line! The body had broken where the hole for the ring was.

All three of my fish came deep while I was winding my 3/0 absolutely as fast as I could. They definately wanted the iron MOVING!

What didn't work: Bait and MegaBaits. I tried the green mack & dodo colors & no go. They wanted the bigger stuff. I was told that the YT had been eating chovies so maybe a nice chove on dropper loop would work, but I would stick to the iron.

As usual, the crew of the San Diego was great. Laid back & fun, but good to go when it was time to take care of business. With everyone on the yo yo tangles happen & they were right there to direct traffic & keep everything cool. I didn't see any fish lost to tangles and the gaff was always where it was needed right on time. The guys are Pros without the attitudes. I really enjoy the atmosphere on that boat. I always have fun & usually catch fish.

And Patty in the galley kept the coffee fresh all day. Nice.[Image: happy.gif]

Fishslayer
[signature]
Well Deserved FishSlayer,

Awesome Report!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Killer report Fishslayer.

What are the some of the high speeders you saw on the grind.

Are the Penn GS 545 and 555 too fast on a full grind?

What pound test where you pullin' on your 3/0?

I have heard a lot of cool stuff about the glow painting on jigs.

Do you know anywhere that sells the paints in bulk?

Romero
[signature]
[cool]"[size 1]Are the Penn GS 545 and 555 too fast on a full grind? "[/size]

[size 1]Good question. I was told long ago that it was impossible to get a jig away from a YT that really wanted it. This was back before 6:1 gear ratios. I think 5:1 is about ideal. Plenty fast but with enough power for the steady cranking technique used with iron. Of course, I don't fish for wahoo. Smile All my Jigmasters and the 3/0 have Accurate handles. The stock handles simply aren't up to heavy cranking.

"What pound test where you pullin' on your 3/0? "[/size]

[size 1]30#

"I have heard a lot of cool stuff about the glow painting on jigs.

Do you know anywhere that sells the paints in bulk[/size]"

[size 1]I get mine at Michael's craft shop. Small bottles only, tho. There is also a site that sells powders that you could mix with FlexCote. The stuff is BRIGHT! And lasts much longer than the stuff that comes on glow jigs. I saw some a guy had painted with the powder. I would be concerned it might be TOO bright. [/size]

[size 1]I've seen quite a few fish caught on the white glow, even in the daytime. I even bought a couple 7X heavy in glow to use this weekend. I'm going on the Pac Voyager out of Seaforth for an overnighter 1/19-20. I'll let ya know how they do![/size]

[size 1]Fishslayer[/size]
[signature]
Again Fishslayer thanx for the Info.

I fish the 545 and 555 but I normally pace them because of the 6:1 ratio, not all bad for the arms. 30# had to work you a bit with the phattiez you were pulling in.

My family members from the big belly brother hood and the Wild Bunch will be boarding with Mark on the 17th returning the day you take off.

Love the Pac Voyager and Mark will put you on the Fish. Im checking out some more of my resources regarding the glow paint.

My wife might have to move her craft supplies out and make way for my jig painting missions.

I will keep you posted on my findings. Do you ever fish the Point Loma 3/4 day boat?
[signature]
[cool]AHHH! You'll be fishin' with the sauce tycoon! We have a one outfit challenge going for the overnighter. He's gonna do a re-ride LOL I may forego the sidepot, tho. The wife got me gears for two reels & I wanna check 'em out. 4:1 & topless Tib for my 4/0 & 5:1 for my 3/0. My 4/0 gave me a bit of trouble on a BFT trip & I wanna make sure it's right. I've replaced the bearings, frame, bridge & drags and will be getting the gears tomorrow.. Crankin' on a 30# ling should be just the ticket to make sure she's good to go! [Wink]

Yup, I've ridden the Point Loma a few times. One of the best you'll find for 3/4 day. I learned a lot about iron fishin' from one of the regulars. She sure sounds great when she fires up!

See ya at the landing.

Fishslayer
[signature]
I have some of that glo powder too. a few other colors as well,

you may find this helpfull, fingernail polish works just fine on lures, and if you dont like the color you can remove the enamal with polish remover.

I saw your post on the powder and did not realize that it was in refference to this string.
[signature]