Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skunked
[Sad] I took my son to the Weber today up at Wanship and we got skunked! I tried everything.....egg patterns, scuds, streamers, prince nymphs, hare's ears etc. etc. Nothing, no bites, not even a fish sighting. I haven't had much success at that section of the Weber. Any suggestions??
[signature]
The last time I fished up there I did real well using type II line and a fly I call a HAZBRO which is black marabou tail then wrapped up to the eye. The marabou gets bushier towards the eye. I use a silver bead and wrap silver wire half way up the hook. Looks kinda like a haresear without the wing case. Size 14-16 hook. Caught rainbow with it but no browns.
[signature]
What type of egg patterns. Using red is not effective on the weber, use an egg colored (looks like a light orange or light pink) and you should do fine. My brother hit the Weber yesterday with it and pulled out 6 browns one pushing 24 inches. Also try a rainbow scud. It is tied with rainbow dubbing. Works fine. Seems weird that the prince didn't even get you a whitefish. This time of year fish it slow and low in the deep holes, the whites should be bunched up post spawn now. Try copper johns in size 18 as well. Both the browns and whitefish love it.

katghoti
[signature]
My suggestion is to change locations. I find fishing by Wanship to be a little less reliable than many other locations on the Weber. I think in the winter the fishing anywhere below Echo damn tends to be more consistent than above it. Many times no matter where I fish on the Weber I find it slow and if I change locations almost always find somewhere else that I do well.
[signature]
Was your leader long enough? did you add more weight? it is deeper there than one would think.
[signature]
Also try a lighter tippet. I often find if fish are looking and not biting or nothing is happening, try going with a lighter tippet or maybe even a flourocarbon to help. Also if the fly if moving to fast the fish may not take it. During the winter, the fish slow down and you almost have to put it in their mouths sometimes.

katghoti
[signature]
Tippet does make a difference. I never go smaller than 6X though. 7X breaks so darn easy. And yes I can yse 6X on my 32's. Love the florocarbon, just don't throw inused or used pieces on the ground. Save the planet.
[signature]
Thanks all for the tips! Katghoti, I was using egg (McCheese fly foam) colored eggs with a red dot. My leader was probably not long enough and I wasn't getting down deep enough. Flygoddess, do you have a recipe for that HAZBRO? Sounds interesting. I haven't tried Copper Johns yet, I will have to do that when I go out for more on Monday. I was also using 4x for my tippet material, sounds as if I was doing everything wrong... oh well, live and learn. Thanks James for the location tip.
[signature]
Fly girl I tell you what, I am currently unemployeed during the week days (Mon.-Thurs) until spring when I hope to be guiding again. PM me and lets get out and try some fishin'. Like I said I also use a streamer sink tip, or even a Type II line to help me get down. I still use split shot at times, but when you need alot of weight it can turn into a chuck and duck thing so I like sinking lines.
[signature]
Glad to help. I know how frustrating it can be especially when you take a kid and the fish don't cooperate. Try the croydon area and henifer area. Fish are hitting eggs and small princes there as well. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

katghoti
[signature]
This may sound crazy but a great fly to try is a wooly worm in a size 12 long shank (about 3/4 inch long). Tie it with light beige chanille, gray grizzly hackle and a tiny red tail. Use a weight with it. I think they take it as a cranefly larvea. There are alot of those in the river. Also, a beadhead haresear and beadhead pheasant tail. Good luck.
[signature]
brassies and copper johns do some good surprisingly well some days. green, red, or copper. I'm surprised the prince didn't get you into some.
[signature]
I'm curious how you're using a sink tip or a type II sink line nymphing? Are you high sticking with it and detecting the takes by feel? And what about mending or do you not worry about mending?

I can see all this happening easier with a sink tip but a full sink line would seem like it'd be difficult.

Flygirl, like most others have said, get that fly down deep. If you aren't removing that nasty Weber stink moss every 5-6 drifts you probably aren't getting the fly down deep enough. Look for the midge hatches also.
[signature]
On type II I throw straight out and let it drift down stripping back at differnt spots to cover the width of the river. This time of year a holding fish isn't going to travel more than a foot for food(or so the theory goes) and I use about a 5' straight flourcarbon leader and unweighted fly so it is suspended. I tie two of every fly. Black head for unweighted and red head for weighted.
My type II is density compinsated so there is no belly.
[signature]