Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to South Dakota!
Just moved here a couple months ago and after getting the house settled I am more than ready to head out with my 7 year old and start drilling through some ice. Anybody have any idea's on a good place to start?

I am at Ellsworth AFB so mainly looking at the west side of the state.

Thanks for any help!!!!
[signature]
Hey, Teroy

Some time when you've got two or three hours to kill, load your family in the car & drive up to Spearfish. Go to the old D.C. Booth fish hatchery in the city park. They have a pond there that has some MONSTER trout on display. There is even an underwater viewing gallery where you can really get a close up look at them. Take a pocketfull of quarters. They have fish food vending machines there where you can get a little handful of fish food pellets (& a really stinky hand) for a quarter. The kids usually get a real bang out of watching those big honking browns & bows scarfing up the food. Throw a handfull out & you'll get a boil that will put the most violent wiper boil on Willard to shame for a few seconds.

If seeing those fish doesn't get your blood boiling I don't know what will. They do occasionally release a few of them into Spearfish Creek there in the park & once in a while one will escape.

Have fun,

GEEZER
[signature]
Teroy,

Dunno why I didn't put this in my last. A place you can get to quick would be Canyon Lake right there in Rapid City. It's located kinda on the west side of the city right beside Rapid Creek. There is a fish hatchery there close too. I've never fished it & don't know if it gets safe ice but you could ask at that sporting goods store in Rushmore Mall & I'll bet they could tell you.
[signature]