Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS
Is there any one out there who has experience with GPS's? I would like to know which make and model of GPS is the most "user friendly", and which one gives you the most bang for your buck.
thanks, ZugBug
[signature]
It really depends on what you want to do with the GPS in the first place. If it is simply to find a "fishing/hunting spot" then the low-end models (~$100-150) are just fine. If you want map capability, then you will have to spend more (~$200+).

I swear by the Garmin handheld units. I've used Magellan and Lowrance and both of those brands just did not cut it. I found the Magellan particularly hard to use (user-firendly-wise). However, in the last two years, it seems like all the companies have done well and I'm sure there are users of both the other brands that will disagree with me.

If you are buying a GPS/fishfinder combo, then there are even more brands to consider. The Hummingbird really makes a nice unit for the money, but I've had particularly good success with Lowarance finder/GPS combo units.

Its all up to you to do some research and find out what YOU want out of the unit, THEN make the decision as to what unit will suit you best.
[signature]
If you want a GPS with a GMRS radio, then I would go with the Garmin series.

If you just want a strait GPS then I would go with any of the handheld Magellans.

What exactly are you looking for in the GPS? That would make it easier to nail down to a specific model.[cool]
[signature]
The only ones I know anything about are the Rhinos whitch are radio GPS combinations, the advantage is when you talk to another Rino your GPS knows where thay are, for hunting that is sometimes a help, the diSadvantage is the radios have a vary limited range, sometimes the GPS can find them and you still can't talk, sometimes you can see the other guy and you still can't talk, for finding your way back to a certian point thay are super.
[signature]
I have Garmins. An older model that has no mapping and a new E-Trex legend with mapping and 8mb of memory.

The older one is more of a marine unit with Man overboard features and more tracking features for navigating longer distances with wind and current as variables.
The newer one has the ability to download specific topo maps from a map CD.

I paid (santa) $200 for it at Dicks at the gateway. I got the GPS, car lighter power cord, car mount, case, computer cable and the mapping CD. Seperate they cost $400, Cabelas sells the kit for $347.
[signature]
I have to agree with BearLakeFishGuy...I have two GPS units, one is a Garmin handheld (GPSIII+) which is now about 4 years old (was state of the art when I bought it) and it has the built in Map. Some of my buddies have ones without the map and even though they work pretty good, I can tell them how close the nearest highway or town is and they can't. Also, even my buddies think my Garmin is the most user friendly.
My other GPS is a Lowrance Fishfinder/GPS combo, the M68 unit.
I would highly recomend either! I can't download/upload data into the Lowrance unit, but I can with the Garmin. Comes in handy when sharing tracklogs/waypoints etc. with your buddies, or when you have filled up your maximum track logs and want to save them off somewhere.
Also, the Garmin has some good software available for it. Not sure on the other brands. They might have caught up with Garmin by now.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I have the Garmin Etrex Legend handheld and it is great. It has a map on it along with many other screens. The map screen is great and a life saver at times. Think I paid 140 for it and you can buy the map software extra which will tell you a whole bunch more.
[signature]
I have to agree. If you are looking for just a good, solid GPS for general around town/hunting/fishing/hiking easy to use unit, then go with the Garmin Etrex Legend.

[inline etrexlegend.jpg]

I got one last year (less than $100 used on Ebay!) and it's worked great. There may be flashier units, but it kinda feels like the Garmins are VHS, and all the other units are Beta--compatibility with the rest of the world is just easier with the Garmin.

Do yourself a favor, though. Get the Mapsource topo software. If you head to the hills, it's GREAT to have the topos loaded, and presetting waypoints before you go so you can just select where you want to go and have the GPS show an arrow that direction makes life BEAUTIFUL on the trail.

lurechucker
[signature]
I just bought a Garmin Etrex Legend yesterday. I hope to have it by friday. Brand new $135.00 on eBay.

[signature]
I use GPS' in my job and I'm familiar with about everything on the market. I personally own an eTrex Legend as well. I think for the buck, it's hard to beat. I'd 2nd the MapSource Topo as well, but only buy it if you plan on using it in the hills for hunting, hiking, etc. IMO. Just fishing or casual use, it's just not worth the $$$ for the topo maps on it.
[signature]
On Bear Lake a map is only good for finding your way back to the Marina in the fog. A contour map is not any good at all there.

Boating on Lake Powell (or any other lake with lots of underwater structure) the more detailed a map the better. I remember boating there before GPS and watching the shoreline for possible under water ridges. You would put a person on the bow and hope they could see under water with all the glare. You would still knock some sandstone down with your skeg and make nice patterns with your prop. The hard rock areas were even worse. Had to always carry a couple extra props. Now with the GPS contour maps you can put on your unit with a chip or download with a CD you have a very good chance of avoiding these problems or stopping along them to fish. My unit comes standard with a basic map of the US with all inland waterways included. I have purchased upgrade chips for much more detail on inland waterways and wouldn't be without it. But it also has stuff on it that I never use ... other folks may find these features very useful.
[signature]
I'll add my vote for the Garmin Legend. I've had mine 2 years and love it. You'll love the maping capibilities on it. easy to use, small, lightweight, durable, waterproof. I wear it around my neck floattubing and in the boat and icefishing. You won't be sorry if you get that one.
[signature]
I own a ETREX without the maping feature,with the tracback feature I can find my way back off the lake at dark,or fog.About $100.00.I learned how to use all the features on my own,a better way is to go to one of the classes at Sportsware house
[signature]
Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'll go over to Sportsmans and pick up the etrex legend. Zugbug
[signature]
Zug,

At Sportsmans they will have the E-trex in new and factory rebuilt units. The rebuilt sells for about $65 less than the new. I would still recommend the whole kit at Dicks in the Gateway. $200 got me the E-trex, the computer cable that you will have to have to download maps, a car power converter so that I don't have to run batteries in the car or boat, a case (cheap) and the CD that has all the topo maps on the US. I use this to download areas that I want to go to and have a detailked topo map for right in my pocket.
[signature]
Troll, Tell me more about the TOPO maps. How detailed are the maps? Do they show roads, jeep trails, horse trails, or what? I like to hunt on horse back and a detailed TOPO map of the back country would be a nice option to have on your GPS.
Thanks, ZugBug
[signature]
They also have maps for the Garmins that have lake maps that I've heard are pretty good. If you are going to download a lot of maps you might want to get one of the Garmins that have more memory. I have the Legend and love it but would like to be able to store more maps on it.
[signature]
I vote for the Garmin etrex units as well. I have the Summit with no mapping capability and the Vista with mapping. I prefer no maps on these small handhelds due to the small screen size. If I was going to go to for a unit that I was using the maps on alot I would get a big screen color GPS/sonar combo.

The small etrex units and a hard copy 7.5 minute topo can do anything you need anywhere anytime. Oh and don't forget the compass for when the batteries die in the GPS.

Just my 2 cents worth!
[signature]
As ewtah said the maps are the standard 7.5 min USGS maps. Just like you can buy at the store at DWR. As far as trails and such, if it's on the map it's on the CD map.
As ewtah pointed out realise that the map will be displayed on a 2" screen. With the zoom you can get pretty good detail but it is a small screen.

The 8mb of memory will let me load about 1/2 of UT into the GPS. This is with topo's. The base map of the whole US stays in the unit.
[signature]
A picture is worth a thousand words.

The first pic is of the GPS unit with a map I loaded into it. I just chose Mirrow lake as a point of reference. Although the pic quality isn't great (sorry!) you can see contour lines with elevations labeled, named lakes, paved roads, and trails. Jeep trails show up there too. I've just highlighted them in the second photo.

I have noticed, however, that with trails--they may vary from USGS topos ever so slightly. Sometimes the Garmin ones aren't updated, and sometimes the Garmin ones are more updated. I always pack USGS maps anyways, to get the big picture.

As far as the software goes, the third photo is a screenshot of the same area. The software has the maps that you load to the GPS unit, as well as tools that let you add waypoits, map your course, estimate distance, etc. etc. etc.

Not the greatest photos-maybe worth 500 words apiece or so...but hopefully you get the idea..

lurechucker
[signature]