Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best of the best
I've been big game fishing for over 20 years and there is one debate that seems to never die, "who makes the best fishing hook?" I know that hooks are a pretty important part of your rigging, lord knows i've settled for a lesser hook and watched a trophy Wahoo or 70 lb flathead swim off with half of my hook. The problem is that, like most anglers, I can't afford to pay 6 dollars for 5 hooks. I've got to compromise. But, many will argue, if you want the best, you've got to pay the price. Well, fishermen and women of BFT, who do YOU consider to be the best?
[signature]
Gamakatsu, Hyabusa and Owner all make some very nice hooks at a healthy price. Mustad also makes an awesome hook at a more fair price.

I buy the bulk packs of mustads which come with 50 to 100 hooks at the price of 5 to 8 hooks of Owner, Gamakatsu or Hyabusa.

I have had some of the more expensive hooks break on me and have had some of the lesser ones rust in my tackle box because I forgot to throw it away after using it on a trip.

I prefer to throw the hook away instead of resharpening it for the price that they are.

The more expensive hooks can be successfully resharpened a few times before they are no longer useful.
[signature]
Gamakatsu has always been a personal favorite for me. They are really sharp, and i've never had one break. They are a couple bucks cheaper than the Owner and Diiachi brand hooks, which I know are top notch. If you go to basspro.com, you'll see that what would cost you 5.50 in the Owner brand, you can get for like 2.75 in Gamakatsu. However, I use Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp more than any other hook for no other reason than the price. They're really not a bad hook. You couldn't give me a regular eagle claw hook, but the lazer sharp seem to be a better grade. I'd have to say Gamakatsu and Eagle claw in a close second.[cool]
[signature]
Eagle Claw Laser Sharp - if for no other reason than they are Made in the USA!

Buy the quality - buy American - because it matters!

Snook.Hooker
[signature]
I use Mustad....Very Dependable
[signature]