Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premire 1/11 Winter Bassin Trip
[font "Arial"][size 2]Hey there guys,

Rode the Premier Wednesday. Last week was great but not quite the same this week. Danny skippered, an FNN/BFT buddy decked (forgot your handle!! sorry), and first mate was in the galley. We had around 15 anglers go for the calicos and sand bass. The boat again got a few buckets of nice fresh dead squid. Fished on Horseshoe Kelp.

Short Report: A few calico and sand bass (maybe 4 keeper fish average per person) with 10+ lings, lots of sculpin and a few cabazon and white fish returned to the water.

Usual Report: Normal cold-water bass fishing for the dead-of-Winter!!! Equal number of number of short to legal fish. Although most fished squid whole fresh dead a few were gotten on chunks.

I fished the plastic for an hour and was rewarded with an almost legal ling cod and some short bass. Another half-hour and I gave up and went to my standby ¾ ounce leadhead and whole squid rig. Most guys used the leadhead/whole squid rig some using the yellow heads and others the red with the goggle eyes.

Although usually targeting and fishing rough structured rock piles, we tried fishing over good flat hard bottom for the first part of the trip with some success. Fished structure varying from 90 to 110 feet.

The foot-long mackerel were again covering a lot of the water column so it wasn’t easy to keep a whole squid intact! If you didn’t triple hook the bait, the resistance you got will making a tentative lift on your rig got lighter and lighter by the second! :lol: :lol:

The weather was nice once the morning chill wore off and I could take off my jacket by 9am. The swell direction was positive, and current steady for most of the am and then...... both the swell and the current strength changed. Water quality has improved greatly from last week.

Aside: Went down to 8 pound test Seagaur fluorocarbon from 15, hoping for a little edge, (100% .... not just coated) on a 4 foot leader and still got just a few bites........ still ...... better than most. Putting a stinger on the squid would have just got me tons of mackerel as others were doing. Didn't try mackerel slabs...... mostly because I was two lazy to go and whack one up. Now I realize I should have tried it! Sad

Another aside: The few open-party boats have light loads now and this would be a the perfect time to try out some of the new spectra-like, super-low stretch, braided lines. Professional Pro, Spiderline, and Firewire have worked pretty well for me when I was testing them last year.

CORRECTION/CLAIRFICATION FROM LAST WEEK:

An update on the Pierpoint parking ….

The parking space fee of $3.50 for....... 90 MINUTES .... NOT.... all day..... is all that will be available next to the Pierpoint landing office from the 14th, 2006. That means that anglers will have to use the parking lot next to the Catalina Terminal building.... a 15 minute walk away minimum! Oh ya ..... you have to get a special token ($3.00 all day) to get on that lot! Happy hiking and token hunting. If you don't like that...... you can always park in the aquarium parking structure for at least double and only walk 10 minutes...... with your gear!

As always Premire is a great boat with a great crew. Our club members, including our wheelchair member (who won the jackpot) were able to take home a few fish if they wanted.

JapanRon[/size][/font]
[signature]