Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green River ???
So when is your favorite time to be on the Green River??

The last 2 times I have been there we have been trying to hit the Cicada hatch. We are 0-2. Bothe times the water was high and the bugs were not out. Last year they had a tremendous flow going so you could only walk the trail (water was flooding the trail). We hooked alot but only landed a few because of the raging river. This year we are talking about going again but I'm thinking of going earlier in the year. So when's the best time?

Thanks.
[signature]
I too really love the cicada "hatch" and hit it perfectly about three years ago when it was going super strong. It even had the enormous fifteen year bugs out in amazing force. This was the year before the fire. We camped for a few days and the mornings were unreal. As soon as the light would hit the trees, the bugs would start humming and it sounded like you were under powerlines. Sleep was not happening. The roads, beaches, banks, and boat ramps were covered in smashed cicadas and the fish were gorging. I caught my biggest Green River rainbow on that trip. About 25 inches of muscle.

My absolute favorite trip to the green though was the year before that when they had to completely open up the dam. That river was running at 10,000 cfs while we were there. The fish were on the footpaths feeding. The signs at little hole were barely sticking above the water. The fishing was unreal. As soon as the river stabilized from the flows, the big fish came to the edges and were eating everything. I have never caught so many fish on that river before.
[signature]
My favorite time of the year is mid summer-fall. Hopper time of year,get to throw big flies on top.
[signature]
My favorite time has to be either in may or june. Blue wing olives are money baby!!! Try towards the middle of june to Aug for big terrestrials as well. Aggressive! Hoppers and ants seem to work well through all warm months.
[signature]
Beautiful River, I like to fish it when every I can. Soon I'll be flying out there to fish it. Smile

Trent
[signature]
Is it really green... why is that.
[signature]
James, There is a site that gives the flows for the Green. Do you have it? If so, could it be posted as a sticky so we can use it year round?
[signature]
The very first link on Know before you go is USGS,click the place on the map that you would like to know. Green river is there.
[signature]