Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craft Fur Crappie Catchers
[cool][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][#0000ff]Acey posted about someone making crappie jigs from the hair on Troll Dolls. In my followup post, I mentioned that I have been using "craft fur" on flies, jigs, etc. for a long time. Had a request to post a pic or two.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Almost every craft store in the country carries a variety of types and colors of fake fur. It is used for a wide range of crafty type things. Fly tiers discovered it long ago. There are quite a few fly patterns that include the stuff. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some fly tying supply outlets even offer "fake fox fur" in their synthetics lineup. I picked up some patches with the longer fibres at a sports show a few years ago, and have used in on quite a few jigs and flies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I got out the patches to make up some of those crappie bugs, I was reminded why I don't use the stuff more often. It is NASTY to work with. You have to cut off a patch with scissors, and then you need to pull on the longer fibers to pull them out and reallign them with the shorter fibres, so that the bundle is fairly even. The fibres are too soft to use a hair stacker.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can tell you that stuff is great on flies and jigs. It is translucent, and looks good. It also is LIVE. When it hits the water, it turns absolutely LIMP. Even the slightest motion makes it wiggle and jiggle. And, it is great to throw on a fly rod, because when wet it collapses around the fly and makes for less wind resistance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the attached pics, I show only about six colors. However, I plan to pick up some purple, dark green and dark brown soon. I may even add hot orange. Oh, what the heck, I might as well get all the colors. Never know when those silly fishies might want something new and exotic.[/#0000ff]
[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13939;"][Image: image.gif][#000000] FAKE FUR PATCHES.JPG [/#000000][/url](115 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13940;"][Image: image.gif][#000000] FUR GOODIES.jpg [/#000000][/url](67.8 KB) [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
i get some real fur from coyotes red,gray and fox squirrels,fox, birds feathers,rabbit,and some other animals during season and keep it for this very thing will be stocking up on it this year if anyone needs some just let me know how much,and we will work out a trade for them.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, it's hard to beat some of the natural furs and feathers. I have plastic bags and boxes full of all kinds of that stuff myself. I used to use a lot more than I do now. Most of my warmwater ties use a lot of flashabou and Krystal flash, along with other bright colored synthetics. I just don't make as many trout flies and realistic imitation patterns as I used to.[/#0000ff]
[signature]