Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead melter - help please!
I'm going to start pouring my own jigheads and tube heads and would appreciate a little help concerning which lead furnace to get.

I'm planning on pouring my own jigheads for lakers (1, 1.5, and 2 oz.) along with the standard 1/8 to 3/8 oz. tube jigheads and round jigheads.

Will something like the bottom pour type Lee Production Pot IV work for the bigger jigs or should I be looking at a ladle pour system? I need to stay under $75 or so. Thanks.
[signature]
i have 3 melting pots and heve found that for big stuff the laddle pot works better
[signature]
Petty4life-

Any suggestions on which one to get?

What makes the ladle system better for bigger stuff? I had read that, but have never seen a good explanation of what makes it better.

Thanks!
[signature]
the down spout comes out to slowly and cools to much before it goes into the mold the ladle holds 4oz of melted lead and can be poured very quickly.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I agree with my esteemed colleague. If I don't then he gets steamed. (sorry)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also have both the Lee Production Pot and a 20# wide mouth melter both for melting down scrap lead and for casting larger jig heads. I also have both 2 oz. and 4 oz. ladles. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are casting only the big stuff, the ladles are the way to go. For bitsy to medium size, the bottom pour feature does fine and gives more control.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The bottom pour spout of the Lee Production pot will pour plenty fast, IF YOU KEEP THE SPIGOT CHANNEL CLEANED OUT. It does tend to get restricted from slag accumulation. I have a couple of special homemade reamers I use to keep it open and I pour up to 2 oz. Roadrunner heads and slab spoons with no problems.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/"]JANN'S NETCRAFT[/url] has the Lee Production Pot for $49.99, with no need for ladles. The large 20# melter is a couple of dollars more, plus another $15 for a 4 oz. ladle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The prices on those same molds is just about indentical at [url "http://www.barlowstackle.com/"]BARLOWS' TACKLE[/url], but their molds are usually about 10% cheaper, and they have a better selection.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The RCBS pot is the best production pot you can buy, we poured everything with it and i don't remember having any problems with pouring the 1 oz sinkers and jig heads with it. But they are a little expensive. about $350.00 the last I looked at them, but if you pour a lot of lead then their worth it. We poured thousands a month for years and never had any trouble. If you only pour for your own use then I would buy a lead production Lee pot and a ladle to go with it, then you can be versital. Pour from the bottom spout, or dip the lead with the ladle to pour the bigger jigs. Make sure you are buying the pot made for lead, not plastic. They have different heating elements in them. Good luck!
[signature]
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]By the way Don, if you will PM me your email address again, I can send some pics and writeups that might help you get started. I have stuff on basic lead pouring, painting, glittering, adding eyes, etc. I also have four pages of pics and descriptions on the different kinds of molds I use. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think I am up to about 35 different molds now. I have also experimented with just about every kind of paint, adhesive, glitter and prism tape on the market. Unless you wanna go through all of that on your own, I might be able to shorten your learning curve.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
PM sent. Thanks!
[signature]
I ended up buying the Lee Production Pot from our local Sportsman's Warehouse and poured my fisrst jigheads tonight - about 5 dozen 1 oz., 1.5 and 2 oz. heads and they turned out great.

Finally - Lake trout jigs with really sharp hooks that hang horizontal!! Yea!!!
[signature]
its always nice to pour your own stuff to get them just how you like them. ive been pouring 1oz spear heads with 6/0 gami hooks and it seems to make a difference for me on the macks and larger cutts.
[signature]