Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Provo and Weber
Hello fellow fly anglers-

I have a small proposition...ok it's just a regular one. I have never fished the Provo or the Weber. I hear all the talk of huge fish and regular fish. I live in Logan and have fished the Blacksmith and Logan regularly, however, I spend most of my time in Idaho. I have come to know how to fish those well and have ended up with some really nice fish. I would be willing to offer an exchange of sorts to some of the waters of Northern Utah, float tubing in Idaho,(there are some bruisers around), or some rivers in Southern Idaho for lessons or at least a trip to the Weber or Provo so I can experience them. Let me know
Catch and release
[signature]
The Provo is an evil mistress that has given me so much frustration over the years that I do what I can to stay away from her. Still, at least once-a-year, I find myself in the Heber Valley. If it wasn't for the Weber, I would probably be beating myself up more. As for the Weber, in my personal opinion, it is a great little stream. After finally figuring out a few things, she has only skunked me once in the past 3 years. (Thank Heaven for Whites!) My go-to set up is a prince nymph/grey scud tandem with enough weight to get it on or near the bottom. Another great time to hit it is in the evenings from July to the first frost. There are almost always Caddis flies coming off to produce some great surface action. I would definitely offer to show you a few places, but with a baby on the way in March, my kitchen passes will be very few in the coming year.
[signature]
I too fish Idaho a lot (being born and raised there and the snake river in my back yard) I go to Pocatello and Idaho falls quite often (family). I fish the Weber on occassion, but do fish the Provo often (mostly middle). Hooking into that 22" last Friday (that wasn't too skinny) has restored my faith in the middle). I have caught hogs on the lower though. I like to use my 4wt. bamboo, and that is why I go to the middle more).
[signature]
I don't fish the Weber or Provo much anymore. With the past 5 years of drought, I found both rivers to have changed from what I knew before the drought. I feel like I have had to learn them and the South Fork of the Ogden, all over again. I now spend most of my time on a pontoon.
I will answer your question with a question.
I want to fish at Daniels this summer, from my pontoon.
Can you stay overnight there? I don't need any hook-ups just a place to park and stay. Is this allowed there?
Now if you want to hook up there at Daniels sometime, I could exchange that for a trip to Strawberry.
The largest Cutthroat Trout that I have ever caught have come from Strawberry and it looks to get even better this year.
[signature]
There is over night camping at Daniels, no hook up's, a dump in town for you tank, and there are a few out houses around the lake. We go there every Memorial Weekend for a few days and make a few trips up there during the year. We also like Strawberry and I have a feeling that this year will be better than ever. If you want you can PM me for more.
[signature]