Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge report 02/11/06
Wiperslayer and I decided to try Confluence point on this trip to the Gorge. Arrived at 7:30am left at 4pm. We did a little better this time but nothing over 24 inches. The ice was 13 inches today and very noisy but it was nice sunny day. Saw a few people running around on ATVs and over a dozen people fishing Lost dog. The deepest water we found was 67ft but I guess that's because the water level is so low. Heres a few pictures of the area we were fishing and one of the 24 incher after the long drive home. I guess it would have looked better if I'd taken it before we left the lake. WH2
[signature]
let's try this again what the heck I did there I dont now but eny way nice job found a few fish that's all way's a bonus we did pertty well south found some ice that was around 3-5in but spoty saturday we didnt make it out until about 10:30 and the fish were comeing throuh a few at a time we ended up nailing 4 fish from 12lb's -24lb's we didnt stay long then we went to get some sleep for the next day yesterday I got educated by one of my buddy's I hooked 3 fish all were lost at the hole but my buddy nailed 6 fish missed 3 and lost 2 what a day he had he really had the hot stick that's mac fishing the biggest was around 27lb's so we finnally got some desent fish throuh the ice I going agaain in the morn so have to see what's happening later and good luck Fishley
[signature]
Wow, thats a nice report, even if you lost a few of them at the hole. When you are catching fish that big, do you make two holes or use a chipping bar to make the hole large enough to get those big ones threw? How deep was the water you were fishing in? Thanks for any info. WH2
[signature]
we was fishing around 75-90, 88-90 seemed too be the best yes I use a chiping bar and make a big enuf hole to pull them 40lber's out but heck I cant land them so I could use an 8'' hole LOL about a 10'' hole is uaually good enuf fro fish up too 30lb's but much more than that and ya better have a bar and some one ya trust big time to chip that pig out it has only happend to me once on a 43lber his head would come out but his body wouldnt it was way cool thought I had the one but he was just a nice respectable fish a couple guy's I know were doing some smaller fish in 65-75ft but that was becouse of the patch ice condition's chip an 18" hole and you can land eny fish in the gorge.later Fishley
[signature]
Thanks again Ash, I guess I better start looking for some deeper water. I know BLM has a ice saw for enlarging holes or connecting two holes that are drilled close together but it cost some bucks. How much does a chiping bar cost?
[signature]
Good report.. Sorry you didnt end up with a goodin' but hey theres always next time.. But in the end you guys had a good day on FG and picked up a few to chew on so it wasnt all sour...
Were there any machines in the Current Creek or Buckboard area??

Never mind,, got an answer to the question..
[signature]
Thanks for the encouragement Don, I always look at trips like that as a learning experience. It's always a good time, fishing the Gorge in the winter, few people and lots of new areas to explore. I only wish the ice was thicker a little farther South. We never drove past the turn off to Confluence Point and we came in from Green river Wyoming. We could see open water at Big Bend and from some of the reports on the Wyoming board, I would say ATVs might be OK at Buck Board but I would ask one of the guys there first. Daffy fishes there a lot and will no doubt post a report soon about Buckboard.
[signature]