Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LP hatches
just wondering if anyone has been to the lower provo this week? i went up a few times last week, and didnt see any hatches. just a little success on sow bugs and hares ears. is there a hatch that started this week, and if so what is the best time of the day. i am planning on going up today(friday) and tomarrow. any info would be great. whats worked best for yall?
[signature]
There is the infamous flyfisherman hatch that comes off from dawn to dusk and is so thick that it keeps me clean off the river.

There are a couple of other options not too far away that are much better and less packed. Might want to venture away from that destination.
[signature]
Midges have been kind of weak so far. Sows are best for me right now. Mid-day is the most comfortable time to be on the water and seems to make the fish more active. Find the pools and runs where they are holding and target specific fish.

The midge hatches should start getting stronger in the next few weeks. The 'event' will start in early April when more fish start looking up for pretty little green mayflies.

I enjoy the LP this time of year and have not found it to be too crowded as some state. It is what it is. You probably won't have a mile of river to yourself, but with a little courtesey and willingness to walk a few minutes, great fishing awaits. LP on tuesday is not the same as LP on saturday afternoon. The true LP combat fishing is on weekends during the summer time rubber raft hatch. Thats when I go nocturnal or explore small streams and still waters.
[signature]