Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake Report
We just got back from the long weekend at Fish Lake.
The weather was OK for the most part. Fishing was a little slow, except for the little perchies.
Splake and Bows were hard to entice. You had to work the jig just right before they would bite. We marked fish all the time, but you had to really work at it to catch one.
Sucker meat didn't work as well as we had hoped, so back to wax worms for the best bite.
Very little snow on the ice which made walking great.
We met up with Fishing Waters and family on Sunday, and fished with them off and on .
It was my first trip to Fish Lake and I fell in love with the place. It won't be my last trip!
[signature]
I was coming up to fish last saturday but arthritis and the crappy weather wrecked my plans. DKS it is my favorite place to be in Utah! I don't get there near enough!

This time of year on the ice I do a lot of holding my jig mid depth and moving it to the fish when they show up on the finder - that dropping it on the head movement seems to work a little better for me than just jigging in one spot - especially for the splake.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip, Extex.
Using my fish finder, I found most of the fish on the bottom but there were fish swimming through out the water column. I would reel up to the suspended fish and work them as they passed through. We caught 3 good sized suckers and through them out on the ice for the Eagles to eat. It way great watching them land and eat the fish. The Crows also had a good meal from our suckers. I agree with you about Fish Lake being a beautiful place.
I will be going back again for sure.
[signature]
We may want to consider different options when it comes to our back up augers. Thanks again for the good company on the trip Dale, it was the best trip that I have had down there. We will have to make friends with someone with Lake Knowledge to take with us next year.
[signature]
Hawkez, I just got off the phone with Brandon. I told him that I took my auger back for store credit and for him to ask Jeramy if they would swap the starter off my auger for his. I will see if Korey can help get it done.
We decided to go home about 4 hours after you did. We both wanted to see the new baby and I didn't feel like cutting any more 20" holes with the hand auger.
I had a great trip even with all the Ice Dancing that we watched. [blush]
Thanks again, Dale.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]I got back from Fish Lake late last night. I was hoping that the catching would pick up when the weather cleared. Even with lots of sunshine and no wind Tuesday was not any better than Sunday or Monday. I did manage to hook up with an 18 inch Mac on the south side of the lake just as I was getting ready to head off the lake to head home. This of course in encouraged me to stay longer. I fished for another hour and couldn’t hook any more. Lots of lookers no takers I tried around 10 to 12 different jigs with Meal and Wax worms even night crawlers and some sucker meat, what I started get hits with was minnows given to me by another fisherman that had caught several 14-16 inch Splake on a green tube jig. I fished with him for a while. You had to catch about 20 6-8 inch Splake before you would hook a bigger one. [/font]
[signature]
I've ice fished that pond off and on for over 20 years,, only skipping a couple,, and I assure you the true Mac can be a tough bite..
Keep in mind,, If your looking for the good stuff and your catching "hit fish" (those that have teeth marks) you might be in the right area.. If your not, move. If your catching perfect purty dinks, Mac or otherwise, MOVE!
And last but certainly not least,
Remember, Goodin's dont swim with their feed until feeding time...

Just my two cents..
[signature]
Coldfooter, did you ever have a problem getting your auger to run up there? There were several of us that had problems this trip. I wonder if the altitude had anything to do with it?
We did move around a lot but never over on the far side of the lake.
Do the perch ever get any size to them at Fish Lake? All that we caught were dinks.
The splake looked to be in spawning color. Is it the right time for that? Do the Splake spawn in Fish Lake, or are they all sterile?
[signature]